Thread
Print

Green-backed Flycatcher 綠背姬鶲

Wow, those are stunning photos!!!

I find Green-backed Flycatcher interesting counterexample to Geoff's theory. It seems most of our spring migrants come from the Philippines while most of our autumn migrants are headed to South East Asia.  This species winters in Vietnam and Malaysia as far as I have read. Green-backed and Yellow-rumped Flycatchers are scarce winter visitors to Singapore while Narcissus is only a vagrant. So I would expect this species more in the autumn.  Seems, however, that the opposite is true.

I am also wondering if it is first-calender male. If it is a female, I am bothered by the color of the undertail coverts which is mostly yellow and the color of the tail which is quite green. The website would suggest that adult females should have rather white undertail coverts.

[ Last edited by brendank at 25/10/2011 14:59 ]

I felt the undertail coverts were reasonably yellow--even in my backlight photo from below you can see quite a bit of yellow. But this doesn't surprise me for immature male elisae. Adult elisae do have quite yellow undertail coverts from the photos I have seen on the web.

Thread