Thread
Print

Filming a Little Bunting

"Shoot"

Well, in my humble opinion, "shooting" in contemporary Chinese settings bears dual meanings which are case-specific.

If the term is utilized among insiders who can immediately recognize the latent definition, it would be perfectly acceptable. But, the fact that there are thousands and thousands of people who are illiterate to this particular word may require our self-constrain when that term is used among outsiders and in circumstances accessible by the public.

For example, in the course of promoting bird-watching to the mass, avoiding the utilization of the term is perhaps the most preferred option, which I believe most of you agree with.

The varying connotations of words may be a stumbling stone for everyone on this platform. It would be the best that each of us can understand the intention behind out actions.

Understanding the necessity for substitution of this term in appropriate context, everyone can share the joy of bird-watching. Also, I believe you are respecting the rules of the Society when you display your tolerance.

Welcome

I appreciate the fact that you use the word "film", which is quite a neutral term. I believe word choice somehow reflects one's mentality. Also, your vocabulary, to a certain extent, reveals your education background.

Sometimes, insisting on one's own position may not be a necessary process, but of course I do not imply that is not a positive thing. We probably hold the same principle "We all love birds and respect them". So, what is the point of people using different sets of terms rallying others into their own camp ?

Thread