Thread
Print

Yellow-streaked Warbler at Ping Che

John, for future reference, was there anything helpful in terms of visual identification or did this look like a completely typical Radde's Warbler if it wasn't singing?

Yellow-streaked Warbler heard singing at 800 about 3-4 times. Didn't sing again after that. We didn't see it.

It would be helpful if anyone who saw it yesterday could describe any relevant details especially in how it differed from a Radde's Warbler. This may be an overlooked species in Hong Kong and there are very few good photos of the species that I can find from internet searches so any information would be welcome.

I've just gotten a hold of Paul Leader's article and the photos suggest that Yellow-streaked is rather similar to Dusky in structure but closer to Radde's in plumage.  I agree with John that vocalizations should be the key feature. In Hong Kong, my experience has been that Dusky Warblers are very vocal while Radde's Warblers are very quiet. I've watched several Radde's Warblers for extended periods with out hearing any call notes. So I wonder how often Yellow-streaked Warblers give call notes? It is a rare occurrence indeed to be able to hear the song of Yellow-streaked.

Thread