Thread
Print

[Storks] Oriental Stork vs Cobra

Oriental Stork vs Cobra

Mai Po July

[ Last edited by Godwin-C at 20/07/2012 16:03 ]

Wonderful shot!
Is that a kind of "snake"?

Wow that's a great confrontation!! Please correct me if I am wrong, but the markings on the underside seem to resemble a King Cobra more than Chinese Cobra.

I agree with Brendan that the snake looks like a King Cobra, based on colour, size and shape of hood. Do you know if it eventually escaped, or if the stork ate it?

I really love the last shot, showing the chase well. In a way, it reminds me a bit of the photo from a few years ago of an Imperial Eagle chasing the Lesser White-fronted Geese.

Great & Wonderful.

I agree the snake looks like a King Cobra, here are some photos of Chinese Cobra (過山烏) taken by cowyeow :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cowyeow/3665152546/in/photostream/
隨緣為經,量力為緯;有緣無力是枉然,有力無緣也徒然。

The king cobra struggle seriously & escaped eventually.

wondeful stork

What an astonishment group of fotos, as I am of Portugal (Europe), where we have two kind of storks (black and whitw), this one is the first time I see and it is beautifull...

Thanks for sharing
Margarida Cunha

Absolutely amazing pictures!  I passed the link on to Paul Crow at KFBG and he says it is a Chinese cobra (and he also enjoyed the photos).

Dylan

Great series~

Wow!

I agree this is Chinese Cobra and confirm by Michael Lau and I captioned some characteristics told by Michael:
- the size of the cobra is around 1 meter, for King Cobra of this size, it would be juvenile and have various gold and black bands on the body
- when the cobra enlarge behind the neck, Chinese has wider shape but King has narrower and elongated shape
- the underside of Chinese is variable which is not necessary having dark band.
- Chinese Cobra living in forest usually has darker colour while those living in these area has light colour like this one.

[ Last edited by Tony at 21/07/2012 15:14 ]
Tony Hung

Thread