Thread
Print

米埔EC被野狗進入 Feral Dog at Mai Po Education Centre

米埔EC被野狗進入 Feral Dog at Mai Po Education Centre

A Tufted Duck was seen being attacked by a wild dog 鳳頭潛鴨被野犬襲擊 25/02/2007
米埔教育中心 Mai Po Education Center

Why the duck do not to flee?

Dear hkinni,

Thank you for reporting this and also photographing the event. I have only ever seen one such photograph which was posted on the BBS last year similarly showing a feral dog with a duck by the Lut Chau fish ponds. Could WWF use this picture for our talks and presentations?

As you know the two ponds by the Education Centre are surrounded by a tall perimeter fence so it is surprising to learn a dog had entered the area. Our staff will check the fence condition today and repair any holes or breakages as necessary.

For information, our feral dog management policy involves the baiting of 4 cages around the reserve. Any captured dog(s) is immediately collected by AFCD's Dog Unit for impounding. In 2005, we captured 15 dogs, 17 in 2006, and so far this year 9 plus one feral cat.

From time to time other wildlife is caught such as Greater Coucal, Burmese Python or Javan Mongoose, but we always release these back into the wild. The cages are checked twice daily and should our staff be away, the cages are closed to prevent any animals entering.

If you require any further information please contact me at Mai Po.

Bena Smith
WWF Reserve Officer
3193 7511 or bsmith@wwf.org.hk

I also see some dog @ 20/21 / 16/17  before .

Dear Bena,
                thank you for your attention and quick action, do show my
photo if you are needed.

I saw two dogs (one is white and one is black) near the entrance of  Mudland.

I also saw 2 dogs on Dec 26, 2006, at pond 16/17. They were running into the pond and those resting Pied Avocets. Then those Avocets and other birds fled away from the dogs. After the dogs played for a while inside the pond, they left there.

I had taken few photos of this event.

most likely , a Chinese Pond Heron , drag away by a dog , just in the car park of WWF today afternoon .  :evil:

Attachment

010.jpg (0 Bytes)

17/03/2007 21:05

010.jpg

Feral Dog Newsclip

A local Chinese newspaper (The Hong Kong Economic Times) picked up on the feral dog story originally posted here on the HKBWS BBS and subsequently wrote a short article (Click here). This is welcomed coverage of the issue and will help raise the public's awareness of this ongoing problem in and around Mai Po.

Thank you to those members who photographed and reported the incidents (hkinni and cissac, thanks for sending your photos to the paper).

Bena Smith
WWF Reserve Officer

Thread