Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen Autumn 2012

A far more important question than pechora - were they tree pipits?

Congratulations on the bay woodpecker, Dylan

Quote:
Original posted by subbuteo at 28/10/2012 23:05
I flushed two birds which flew over the path, thrush size and shape, brown back, darker tail and white flashes in the outer tail which, I think, only leaves Pale Thrush?
It does seem early for Pale. What about White's Thrush?

I am staying temporarily in Lam Tsuen, and heard the Brown wood Owl calling for several minutes from about 5.00 this morning. Also great views of a calling Collared Scops Owl last night.

A few birds from Tai Om this morning:

Black-winged Cuckooshrike x1
Black-naped Monarch x1
Asian Stubtail Warbler x2
Radde's Warbler x1
Two-barred (Greenish) Warbler x1
Russet Bush Warbler x4
Verditer Flycatcher x1
Lesser Shortwing x5+

Also an unseen chat, possibly Rufous-tailed Robin, and a heard-only thrush.

The Bown Wood Owl was calling again this morning shortly after 6.00

Mike,
I think the wagtail is a female leucopsis with an unusually large bib. The mantle colour is fairly dark grey and the wing pattern looks typical for female leucopsis (extensive white on greaters and pure white median coverts). Also the black of the rump seems to extend well beyond the upper tail coverts, which would indicate one of the black-backed subspecies.
Although the bib is more extensive than a typical leucopsis, I think it is also more extensive than would be seen on a baicalensis at this time of year (which I think should show a similar bib to leucopsis, with perhaps an additional patch at the end of the malar)

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but that photo looks like Asian Brown Flycatcher to me. Are there more photos showing the upperparts?

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a Red-breasted does turn up in Lam Tsuen. There's lots of good habitat!

Thread