Thread
Print

[China] Hubei 湖北 9-2012 (2)

Hubei 湖北 9-2012 (2)

Early Sept. 2012
Shenlongjia 神農架
Areas covered : Muyu 木魚鎮, Banshan Hotel(+2,000m above sea level)半山酒店 & Dajiuhu Wetland Park (+1,700m above sea level)大九湖濕地公園

Pied Harrier  鵲鷂

[ Last edited by Paux at 22/09/2012 20:36 ]

White-crowned Forktail 白額燕尾

Little Forktail 小燕尾

Brown Dipper 褐河烏

Plumbeous Redstart 紅尾水鴝

Collared Finchbill 領雀嘴鵯

Oriental Turtle Dove 山斑鳩

(to be cont'd)

Paul, thanks for your correction. It's really hard for me to tell if it's a Pied Harrier or Hen Harrier as their features are so confusing, even harder for an immature!

Elliot's Laughingthrush 橙翅噪鶥

Chinese Babax 矛紋草鶥

Red-billed Leiothrix 紅嘴相思鳥

Marsh Tit 沼澤山雀

Grey-headed Flycatcher 方尾鶲

Long-tailed Shrike 棕背伯勞

Chestnut-eared Bunting 栗耳鵐

(to be cont'd)

[ Last edited by Paux at 25/09/2012 23:36 ]

Sooty Tit 銀臉長尾山雀

Brown-breasted Flycatcher 褐胸鶲

Grey-crowned Warbler 灰冠鶲鶯

Plumbeous Redstart 紅尾水鴝

Some butterflies (Please correct me if the names are wrong as I am not familiar with butterflies. Thanks)
Chinese Peacock 碧鳳蝶

Asian Swallowtail 柑桔鳳蝶

Indian Fritillary 斐豹蛺蝶

Finally, a view of Dajiuhu. Thanks for viewing.

Jonathan, thanks for your comments.
Regarding the Brown-breasted Flycatcher, I've ruled it out as a Ferruginous Flycatcher due to its pinky leg colour. For the range, both of these two birds can be found in southern China including Guangdong.
http://www.cnbird.org.cn/name_li ... p;bh=0731&sl=19

For the Brown Shrike, it's very common in the areas I visited, much more in nos. than Long-tailed Shrike. For the bird in the picture, I think the base colour of the breast & tail colour look more like a Brown Shrike.

Regards,
Paul

Jonathan & John, thanks for your further comments. I'll correct the name of the Shrike. And I post here a photo of Brown Shrike which I hope would be correct this time !

Regarding the Flycatcher in question, for the time being, I'm still in favour of a Brown-breasted Flycatcher. A photo showing the bill colour which fits the description of a BB Flycatcher is attached. For the wing size, I don't think it's too long (relative to the tail) comparing to the picture shown on "Birds of HK & South China". Furthermore, there were records of BBF in Shennonjia in recent years but no Ferruginous Flycatcher (non-official).

Paul

Mike, thanks for your comments.

Regards,
Paul

Thread