Thread
Print

Ng Tung Chai Warbler?

Ng Tung Chai Warbler?

A very confiding and active bird.  Delivered a quiet chack-chack call, and twittered as it moved in the undergrowth.  Apologies for the poor images, best I could do.  

I thought Radde's?

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 21/10/2012 14:46 ]

Attachment

P1110514.jpg (55.09 KB)

21/10/2012 11:54

P1110514.jpg

P1110517.jpg (55.16 KB)

21/10/2012 11:57

P1110517.jpg

P1110532.jpg (38.99 KB)

21/10/2012 11:59

P1110532.jpg

P1110521.jpg (16.98 KB)

21/10/2012 12:03

P1110521.jpg

Description of call sounds like Radde's.

Thanks, that's good- I had a very similar warbler last time I was in Ng Tung Chai, which I also thought was Radde's.  I'll admit to being disappointed that the call wasn't a Siberian Blue Robin!

Dylan

To me general color, head pattern and tail shape looks more good for a Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler. But difficult to be sure with the pics quality.

All the best,

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan.  I'm still not sure- the eyebrow was very clear and it didn't give the usual call for brownish-flanked - only the chack call and twittering quietly.  Happy for more opinions!

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 21/10/2012 14:53 ]

Just had a look in the Avifauna and this would be a very early record for Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler, earliest date there is 22 October 1994, and only one other record for October apparently.  Doesn't rule it out, of course.

Dylan

Can it be a female Manchurian Bush Warbler? The reddish crown and poorly marked supercilium with long tail seems to fit.

Manchurian Bush warbler or whatever their new name now have a more square ended tail where Brownish-flanked BW have this very rounded rectrices tip with a forked tail impression. Tail looks also very thin at the base, as other cettia due to less quantity of rectrices than other passerines I guess. I'm quite confident on Brownish-flanked BW but I'm very happy to be corrected.

All the best,

Jonathan

I tend to agree with Jonathan that the bird in the photo could be Brown-flanked Bush Warbler Horornis fortipes - as it's now named on the official HK list. However, I'm not entirely sure from the photos.

Just a comment on the date. I heard & saw two B-f Bush Warblers at Lau Shui Heung near Fanling, where the species is regular in autumn/winter, on October 11th. However, as B-f Bush Warbler is now a common breeding bird on Tai Mo Shan and in the Pat Sin Leng area, I'm not sure that October 22nd has any great relevance. Any "early" records at places such as Ng Tung Chai and Lau Shui Heung could simply be a result of altitudinal movement. (Although there doesn't seem to be any data at present to support that theory!!)

David

[ Last edited by ddavid at 21/10/2012 16:58 ]

Thanks- happy with that- it didn't look right for a Phyllosc- Radde's would've been nice... I'll have to withdraw my earlier claim to Radde's too as this one was calling similarly to the previous and I didn't get a very good look last time.

Dylan

I would say this is certainly Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler - structure plumage and call spot on.

Thread