Thread
Print

Finch ID

Finch ID

29 Oct 2012
3x in San Tin
Would someone please help me identify the finch below? Thanks a lot.

又惹蚊,又要睇雀

Only Common Rosefinch can look so rough!

Cheers
Mike
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

To me, this doesn't look quite right for a Common Rosefinch. Among other things, the bill looks small and it appears to have a paler rump.
I wonder whether it could be an escape (possibly one of the African canaries?), but I'm not sure of species.

I'm with John on this one; also I think that there are two different species here - photo 2 being a different species from 1 and 3. I don't have any relevant literature to hand right now but will check later.

Mike Leven

Yes, the photos were taken from different individuals of the group. The 3 birds behaved in the same way and with similar coloration making me think they are of the same species. They are all around 11cm in size and looked very hungry. At least one of them has an apearance similar to White-rumped Seedeater, Serinus leucopygius.

[ Last edited by ctakming at 30/10/2012 17:51 ]
又惹蚊,又要睇雀

Some more photos. Sorry for the poor quality. Thanks.

Three different individuals, if I have not mixed them up:

Two of them:

又惹蚊,又要睇雀

Love photographing Creator's work
www.fotop.net/yinming

A quick look at Clement et al. 'Finches and Sparrows' supports ID as White-rumped Seedeater - combination of no supercilium and dark streaks on the crown only seems to fit this Serinus. A really bizarre species to find at San Tin and I think a first for HK (Cat III obviously). Recs Com is going to hate this !

Mike Leven

Many thanks to all experts above for helping me to id these birds.
又惹蚊,又要睇雀

Thread