Thread
Print

Bird Books in Hong Kong

Bird Books in Hong Kong

My partner and I will be arriving in Hong Kong on Friday evening 16 March 2007 and returning to Australia on the evening of the following Friday (23 March 2007).

I know there are a number of bookstores in Hong Kong, including Dymocks which is also present in Australia. I would really appreciate any advice re the names/locations of other stores where I may be able to browse and purchase books about birds which might not be stocked here in Australia or at Dymocks. I am particularly interested in books which might appeal to the more knowledgeable birder or ornithologist rather than just the average lay person who has an interest in birds. This is because I am the Sales Officer for the Canberra Ornithologists Group and I am looking for books/items which I can possibly raffle (as a fundraising exercise) to members at our monthly meetings.

Many thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Bruce Ramsay

Hi Bruce,

I guess most bookstores in HK do not have a wide stock of bird books as the local market is not too big and I usually order books via internet.

Nevertheless, you may try these two ones

1. Swindon (see "about us" for the address of branches)
http://www.swindonbooks.com/

2. Commercial Press
http://www.hkcp.com/ww/english/retailing.htm

The ones at Star House near Star Ferry Pier (Kowloon side, Tsim Sha Tsui) and Causeway Bay should have more English books.

Some fieldguides and books about wildlife and countryside in HK are bilingual (Chi and Eng) but are placed in the Chinese section, so better to check with the storekeeper.

Good luck,

Captain Wong

Dear Captain Wong,
Thank you very much for this info. We are staying at the Marco Polo Hong Kong which I believe is not very far at all from Star House, so we will definitely be browsing the Commercial Press stock. And we will also check out Swindons as well. Even if we only find one book that is reasonably priced and not readily available in Australia, the search will have been worthwhile and should definitely spark interest in the subsequent raffle!
Bruce

Bird Books in Hong Kong

Hello Bruce,

The people in the HKBWS Office may not have seen your message yet, but they usually have a few items "not readily available in Australia"  Last time I popped in they had a few copies of "The Birds of HK and South China" also "A photographic guide to the birds of HK", "China Bird Reports" from 2003, 2004 and 2005, recent HKBWS bulletins and some badges and buttons.

The address is 1612, Beverley Commercial Centre, 87-105 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui.  Phone no. is 23774387.  Also close to your hotel !

Regards
John Holmes

Dear Friend,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, we do have all these books in our office which John has mentioned above. Welcome to our office to buy.

HKBWS Office

John and Office Staff.
Many thanks for your advice. We will probably pop in to the office next week and say hello.
Regards - and good birding!
Bruce

PS If anyone is interested in birds of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), the website for the Canberra Ornithologists Group is www.canberrabirds.org.au

It has a picture gallery as well as information about the Group and birds in the ACT.

Thread