Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen, Spring 2013

There was a mix-up in the scientific name of Drongo Cuckoo in the Bird Report when the split was first adopted on the HK list (which I think was when we adopted the IOC list). This resulted in the species being listed in HKBR as S. lugubris rather than the correct name of S. dicruroides.
This error has now been corrected in the new 2011 HKBR.

Have you managed eight cuckoo species yet, with the Drongo cuckoo as well as your usual seven?

I'm surprised you haven't had Indian Cuckoo - they have been singing at Mai Po for weeks now, I've heard up to four at once. Maybe they are not so common at Lam Tsuen because you don't have the Black Drongos to act as a host? They are the opposite of Large Hawk Cuckoo, which has been very difficult on the reserve at Mai Po this year.

I have also seen juvenile Chestnut-winged Cuckoo associating with Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush (at Hok Tau, last year).

Large Hawk Cuckoo I am not sure about - Robson says that they parasitise Spiderhunters, but that can't be the case in Hong Kong (and is surprising to me, given the relative size of the species). I've seen a juvenile at Kam Tin close to Eurasian Magpies and Masked Laughingthrushes, but given the distribution around the hillsides in HK I've always thought Hwamei must be a candidate for the major host (but have no evidence to back that up).

Incidentally, Drongo Cuckoos are supposed to be parasites of babblers. Does anyone know specifically which species they use in China? Is there a chance they could colonise here in the near future? It could be possible if Rufous-capped Babbler or Huet's Fulvetta are potential hosts.

Thread