Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Spotted Dove

Spotted Dove

Dear all,

I took a photo at LV on 2013-04-27. Initially, I think that it is a Red Turtle Dove. But the red eye with white eye-ring and the lore similar to Spotted Dove make me suspect that it may be a Spotted Dove under moulting. After searching in the internet, I found that there is another species called Red-eyed Dove [Streptopelia semitorquata] (紅眼斑鳩) which is every similar to the one in the photo. Would anyone help to id it. Thanks

[ Last edited by kkchang168 at 3/05/2013 16:19 ]

It looks like a juvenile Spotted Dove which has not yet developed the spots on the neck.

Thanks, ajoin. I think you are right. According to "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eyed_Dove":

"Red-eyed Dove is a largish, stocky pigeon, typically 34 cm in length. Its back, wings and tail are pale brown. When flying, it shows blackish flight feathers. The head and underparts are dark vinous-pink, shading to pale grey on the face. There is a black hind neck patch edged with white. The legs and a patch of bare skin around the eye are red."

There is no red bare skin around the eye of the one in the photo. So it should be Spotted Dove.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks again.

(Will change back the title soon)

Thread