Thread
Print

From Xinjiang

From Xinjiang

I have been in Wurumuqi for 2 months now, in August I went to a water treatment plant to see mainly migrating waders, and I picked up 黑腹沙鸡 Black-bellied Sandgrouse on the way.  Then I spent 5 days visiting Altai region, and saw 柳雷鸟 Willow Ptarmigan.  Altai is an excellent place to live.  Many birdwatcher in Wulumuqi said that they prefer to live there if given a choice.  Next I want to Tianshan with Professor Ma Ming to see 高山兀鹫 Himalayan Griffon Vulture and the Glaciers.  The vulture nests were on very high cliffs by the road side.  By about 16:00, many can be seen flying in the sky.  Yesterday there was a 4.7 earthquake in Wulumuqi.  Since I live in 21th floor, the vibration was felt strongly.  The shopping mail that I often went to shop have to close part of it because there were cracks.  See the following link "http://www.toutiao.com/a2726659962/" (in Chinese).

I have asked local birdwatcher.  The best time to visit Xinjiang is from last week in May to 1st week in June.  So please plan to come in this period if you want to see birds in Xinjiang.  I have invited Xinjiang BWS to join bird race in HK in April.  I hope they will come.

HF Cheung

Thread