Thread
Print

Japanese Paradise-Flycatcher?

Japanese Paradise-Flycatcher?

Is it a Japanese Paradise-Flycatcher or Asian Paradise-Flycatcher? Photo was taken along the path to the tide of Mai Po Broad walk on 2013-09-27.

[ Last edited by kkchang168 at 29/09/2013 05:13 ]

I think this post-edited jpg image will give other birders a better ID result.

Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

It's very difficult to tell from this shot because of the lighting, even with the editing adjustment. Asian and Japanese Paradise Flycatchers are very similar, and the easiest way to tell from this angle would be the tones of the upperparts (bright rufous on Asian, darker with a maroon/purple tone on Japanese).

I think this bird is probably Asian because the tail seems quite bright and there is a lot of contrast in the tertials (between dark centres and pale fringes). But I am not entirely sure about the ID from this photo.

I would have different view from John. It might be about the setting of the computer screen. To me, the bird looks quite dark and the mantle and uppertail are maroon-brown to me. I would say it is a Japanese Paradise Flycatcher.

The tail is not pale enough for an Asian. The bill not pale lower mandible based and the head looks
solidly black.

It is a Japanese though not a hundred perecnt sure like establishing a HK first.

S L Tai

Thanks for all your input. I posted this thread because I saw someone saw an Asian Paradise Flycatcher on 2013-09-23, so I thought that it is an Asian Paradise Flycatcher initially. But after looking at the book, I am not sure whether it is an Asian or a Japanese.

I have checked the Oriental Bird Image and saw a similar photo. The link of the photo is:
http://orientalbirdimages.org/se ... _ID=&pagesize=1

So is it a 1st year Asian Paradise Flycatcher? Sorry for the poor quality of the photo and causing so much problem to all of you.

[ Last edited by kkchang168 at 29/09/2013 23:23 ]

It is a first year Paradise Flycatcher. I don't think you can be entirely sure about the species.

It is almost certainly not the same bird as the one on 23rd, which was in an entirely different part of the reserve (next to Pond #24). Both species are migrating through HK at the moment.

Having looked at this on two different screens I would think this is Asian PF. I think the tail is too warmly coloured for Japanese.  I don't think mantle colour is helpful when it comes to ID.

Thanks once again. To me it is still a learning process and your input are much appreciated.

Thread