Thread
Print

塱原紅背伯勞 Red-Backed Shrike (LV)

I would like to congratulate the photographer on such exquisite photos. Really top class. Superb.
And I would like to thank them, and everybody else, for posting their photos.
The really interesting thing about these photos is that the same bird looks so very different from photo to photo. The whole series of photos of this particular bird, who was obligingly confiding to the extreme, is a very instructional (didactic) set of photos for all of us.
Patience and care is needed to differentiate "confusion species". It's not easy - that's why they are called "confusion" species.
Birding is a continual learning curve we are all riding together.
It is really uplifting to see the care and concern of everyone involved is ID'ing this bird, and discussing the ins and outs of the differences between this feathered friend and that feathered friend. Really feels good to be involved in such a collegial community.

To brachiate sidewise from this theme. There is a general tendency around the globe to publish photos of beauteous adult males in full breeding plumage, and to relatively ignore females, juveniles, eclipse and other plumages. Juvenile and sub-adult birds are continually under-represented in the photo graphic record, and I would like to encourage everyone to post as many photos as possible of such plumages for the good of birders everywhere. Even of common birds.

Cheers

James

BTW - I particularly loved the partial exposition of the expelling of the pellet! Tantalising to say the least.
Great photography of bird behaviour.
Which makes me wonder... does anyone have photos of shrikes impaling prey on thorns in Hong Kong? Like Vlad the Impaler, only local!??

Also, does anyone have photos of bee-eaters actually eating bees in Hong Kong? I must admit, I have seen plenty of bee-eaters around various places in the world, but I have only ever seen this bee-eating behaviour once in my birding career, in Hampi, Karnataka, India, on the 13 Mar 2010...so it doesn't seem to be the signature behaviour of the family.

Here's hoping

James

Thread