Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] How to classify Black-winged Stilt

How to classify Black-winged Stilt

I have taken some of the Black-winged Stilt, however, I don't know how to classify them as female/male.  Also, how to classify it as adult,juvenile,breeding?  Can anyone help me to solve this problem and indicate them by using the attached photo?

[ Last edited by bws1114 at 21/02/2014 00:45 ]

Attachment

黑翅長腳鷸.jpg (60.05 KB)

21/02/2014 00:45

黑翅長腳鷸.jpg

Can somebody help me

From Wikipedia:

Males have a black back, often with greenish gloss. Females' backs have a brown hue, contrasting with the black remiges...

Immature birds are grey instead of black and have a markedly sandy hue on the wings, with light feather fringes appearing as a whitish line in flight.

Black-winged Stilts can sometimes be difficult to age & sex, because there is a lot of variability in pattern.

Among your four birds, the easiest is the one on bottom right. The very black back indicates an adult male. The legs are fairly bright pink, again suggesting an adult. Males tend to have whiter heads, as seen on this bird.

The others are a bit trickier. Females have browner backs than males and usually more dark feathers on their heads. But first-winter birds also often share these features. Adults tend to have brighter legs than first-winter.
I think that the two at the top are first-winter, based on the browner upperparts and paler, slightly grey-tinged legs.
The bird at bottom left is very difficult, especially due to the distance. It seems fairly dark above and pink-legged. I think it is an adult female, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks both of you, I have a clear picture in identifying them!!

Thread