Thread
Print

Fork-tailed chases away Mrs Gould's Sunbird

Fork-tailed chases away Mrs Gould's Sunbird

Saw many times that White-eye chased away the Fork-tailed.  Today, Fork-tailed chased away the Mrs Gould's Sunbird.  Well, I think that is the nature.  Their territory maybe.

Since many birds use the same flower, it is very common for larger birds to guard their food.  For example, Orange-bellied Leafbird often drive away other birds from their flvourite flower.

Hi, HGCheung.

It would be our human's common sense that big chases small. Like today, my wife and I saw about seven to eight  hair-crested drones on the coral tree at Sai Kung Lion Club Nature Park.  And they just kept chasing away the only one Orange-bellied Leafbird male away when they saw it (the orange-bellied leafbird kept came back!)  But the one I posted here is the small fork-tailed chased away bigger than they are, Mrs Gould's Sunbird!  Isn't it unbelievable!

Best

Eric

Second thought - those lions chase animals bigger than them.  It is about how strong you are.

[ Last edited by tomatofamily at 14/03/2014 23:09 ]

Only the juvenile Mrs Gould's Sunbird will fly away

The mature Mrs
Gould's Sunbird is bigger than Fork-tailed,and will not scared.

March, 2014.    KFBG

[ Last edited by kena2089 at 3/04/2014 10:35 ]

Attachment

藍喉003.jpg (91.47 KB)

15/03/2014 23:26

藍喉003.jpg

藍喉02.jpg (69.89 KB)

17/03/2014 21:49

藍喉02.jpg

sb3.jpg (77.86 KB)

3/04/2014 10:35

sb3.jpg

Are  Mrs Gould's Sunbird's becoming  more common? 'The birds of HK and SC' says that past records of Mrs Gould's Sunbird's are treated as escapes.  It's apparent the bird/birds this year are not escapes. Is HK having a good year or is this a growing trend or are they all the same bird?

Mrs. Gould's Sunbird has been accepted as wild bird in HK some times ago.  Check the HK list.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... &extra=page%3D1

Thread