Thread
Print

is it a Semipalmated Sandpiper?

is it a Semipalmated Sandpiper?

an American birder Andrew,found a bird at Rudong,Jiangsu province,China,which he suspected it as a Semipalmated Sandpiper,the photo and video attached here.anyone who famillar with the american waders? is it a Semipalmated Sandpiper? Thanks!

The following is from Andrew' email
......Yesterday, while surveying some fish ponds near Haiyinshi Temple, I observed a peep that I am very sure is a Semipalmated Sandpiper. This conclusion stems from my experience with the said species, my field observations, photos and video.

It was the behavior of this bird that caught my attention as it fed with Red-necked Stints at a fish pond.

My field notes are summarized during my observation as follows:

Small calidrid displaying aggressive behavior towards nearby Red-necked
Stints, if they got too close to where it fed.  Since my wader survey in China,
I have not seen Red-necked Stints chase each other.

Size looks good for a male Semipalmated Sandpiper.  Primaries were not longer than the tail length as in Red-necked Stints.

This bird did not show the same busy feeding behavior as Red-necked Stints. Seemed a bit more deliberate or was it my imagination).

Bill seemed to be blunt tipped and a careful study of the legs appear to
show semi palmated webbing. (A photo appears to support this observation)

I managed to capture photos and a short video clip before the birds picked up and I could not relocate it there after.

[ Last edited by kestrel at 17/04/2014 14:24 ]

Attachment

2.jpg (38.55 KB)

17/04/2014 14:20

2.jpg

1.jpg (37.68 KB)

17/04/2014 14:20

1.jpg

would it be possible to see more picture and the video?

I agree that it would  be useful to see more photos. I don't have experience with Semipalmated, but the bird on these photos looks to me very like Red-necked Stint, especially the long-bodied and 'hunch-backed' appearance. I would have expected semipalmated to appear a bit more like Little Stint, with a slightly more upright posture. Possibly also a slightly deeper base to the bill. In my opinion the definition in the photos is not enough to show conclusively whether the toes are webbed or whether this is an illusion from the photograph. Red-necked Stint is a very variable species in terms of plumage (especially at this time of year), and of course behaviour can also vary individually. Of course, semipalmated sandpiper is a possibility, but I think higher resolution pictures to conclusively show the webbing or the pattern of any breeding plumage feathers would help to resolve this question.

Thread