Black Bulbul

Mountain Bulbul

Grey Pipit

Olive-backed Pipit

Unknown 1

Unknown2

Arctic Warbler?

Small Niltava

Please correct me and provide the unknown one.  Thanks so much in advance.

Eric

Wow! Well done Eric, very nice set of records, Black Bulbul is very good, and Small Niltavas are turning up everywhere this winter! For the unknown, I am going to go with juvenile Asian Brown Flycatcher, but I am not entirely sure about the dark ear coverts, never seen any quite like that, but the bill shape supports Asian Brown. The warbler is a Yellow-browed Warbler.

[ Last edited by kmatthew at 7/12/2014 23:17 ]
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

My wife and I were excited about the found too.  One disappointment was that we could not have sight again of Plumbeous Redstart which we saw two weeks ago.
Thanks so much Matthew for viewing and correction and the help.
Best.
Eric

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnyu9339

Very Nice!~

Do you have any more photos of the unknown bird?  I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what it is!!!  It certainly isn't a flycatcher (no rectal bristles) but I understand why Matthew suggested that.

It might be worth starting a separate thread (Mystery Bird) to more views on this bird.

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with that mystery bird. The proportions are just weird - tiny head with big bill and eye.

I had also initially been thinking Asian Brown Fly, but that doesn't seem right. I have also wondered about Grey Bushchat from the dark ear coverts, but the proportions and bill look wrong.

More photos would be very useful.

Let's start a "mystery bird".
Thanks again for the viewing and comments.
Eric

A great set of photos and plenty to discuss !  The Small Niltava and the Mountain Bulbul are my favorites.
http://johnjemi.hk

Hello everyone! my friend PY also took some pictures of the unknown bird at Bride's Pool on 6Dec and 7Dec too

6Dec14
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

7Dec14
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

9/12/2014

Much inspired by Eric, I decided to give Bride's Pool a morning of birding. Results were pretty astonishing, this site might become my regular to go list in the future! Large variety and quantity of fruiting trees looks very promising, birds were certainly gorging themselves on those. I also birded Chung Mei on the way back, nothing much except a single female Plumbeous Redstart, this seems to be one of the most regular wintering site for this species.

Bride's Pool trail > 7:45am - 12:00pm

Olive-backed Pipit

Grey Wagtail
Scarlet Minivet
Orange-bellied Leafbird x1 (feeding on a fruiting tree on the trail towards Bride's Pool falls briefly before flying off)
Chinese Bulbul
Red-whiskered Bulbul
Chestnut Bulbul
Red-flanked Bluetail x1
Daurian Redstart x4
Plumbeous Redstart x1 (a single female at the 1st bridge, showed well)

Grey-backed Thrush
Blue Whistling Thrush
Asian Stubtail
Goodson's Leaf Warbler x4

Pallas's Leaf Warbler (in very good numbers)
Yellow-browed Warbler
Cinerous Tit

Mugimaki Flycatcher x1 (at the picnic area next to the 1st bridge)

Small Niltava x1 (1st picnic area, go left towards the trail to waterfall, 1st hairpin. Only showed very briefly before dissapearing)

Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher

Black-naped Monarch x1
Streaked-breasted Scimitar Babbler
Greater-necklaced Laughingthrush (heard)
Hwamei (heard)
Rufous-capped Babbler

Blue-winged Minla
Pygmy Wren Babbler (heard)
Fire-breasted Flowerpecker

Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker
Fork-tailed Sunbird
Japanese White-eye

Mystery bird was seen at 1st picnic area, next to the speed camera by the Bride's Pool Road.

Chung Mei > 12:30pm - 1:00pm

Daurian Redstart x2
Blue Whistling Thrush
Plumbeous Redstart x1 (another female)

[ Last edited by kmatthew at 9/12/2014 23:51 ]

I will have to make a visit. I know Bride's Pool, but where is Chung Mei?

Thanks

Hi John, Chung Mei is another picnic area before Brides Pool when you come from Tai Mei Tuk. There's a turn off there that leads to a car park area with a few toilet stand, there you can cross a bridge where water goes into the reservoir, walk in through a path along side a rocky river, the Plumbeous Redstart(s) are usually there. Few years back there was a Thrush fest with Orange-headed Thrush and Sclay Thrush all a few steps away! Good times.

[ Last edited by kmatthew at 9/12/2014 22:56 ]

Good to know.

Thank you Matthew

Chung mei was a hot spot of bird release in and around 2005, probably still now. KFBG and HKU did some observations of bird release events at that time.

Cautions should be taken about rare bird records, esp. those very tame ones (I personally won't add new birds seen at Chung Mei into my own record list).

So be careful!!

Great info & pictures!
Thanks

10/12/2014
Hi, Matthew.
Around the same area, we found this bird we are not sure.  Please help to identify. At the same or a bit earlier, we were happy to see a wave of minivets arrived (early birds get the worms!).  

Eric

Quote:
Original posted by tomatofamily at 11/12/2014 22:40
10/12/2014
Hi, Matthew.
Around the same area, we found this bird we are not sure.  Please help to identify. At the same or a bit earlier, we were happy to see a wave of minivets arrived (early birds g ...
Seem to be a Black-naped Monarch.

11/12/14

Only birds to add to the growing list are White-Bellied Yuhina and possibly an Emerald Dove.  I saw a flash of iridescent green from a dove sized bird at Chui Keng Tam Falls, I can't think what else it could be.

Small Niltava (M) - still there. It was hanging around the speed camera.

Plumbeous Redstart (F) - Same place as Matthew described.

White-bellied Yuhina

Mugimaki Flycatcher (M) - Same place as Matthew described.

I did not see the 'mystery' bird.

Big thanks to Eric and Matthew for all the information.

[ Last edited by JohnC at 12/12/2014 00:11 ]

Thanks louislee so much.

See how some birders used props fixed on the tree and the pipes!!! Hate it.

Eric

Need to remove them ?

25/12

Chestnut-crowned Warbler x1

Thread