Thread
Print

南面浮屋大型整修 Southern Hide Major Revamp (9/6 - 30/9 2015)

Quote:
Original posted by WWF Mai Po at 24/09/2015 16:42
浮屋的重建工程現已完成,觀鳥屋以及通往該觀鳥屋的木橋路段現已重新開放。是次重建工程是由WWF香港觀鳥大賽籌得的善款資助,並得到WWF前米埔管理委員會成員,米埔教育中心及訪客中心的建築師,本身亦是熱心觀鳥者的米湛士先 ...
Excellent!  I can't wait to visit this fantastic new bird hide.
By the way, for the next new bird hide, it will be perfect if we can shift the perimeter columns to behind the seating benches, so that bird watchers/photographers can have an unobstructed view.  I have on many occasions lost track of flying birds when my view through my panning 800mm telephoto lens is suddenly blocked by a column, and have the impulse of sawing down the column some day (except there is no saw around)....  As a registered civil engineer, I can assure you that the concept of shifting the columns behind the seating benches is structurally feasible.

I visited the new bird hide yesterday and was impressed by all the new features, particularly the nails for hanging backpacks and the doorless design which provides good ventilation particularly in those hot summer days and also avoids unwanted noises from opening/shutting doors that may scare off birds.  The low level window design is innovative and interesting.
The narrow window design will help to provide good concealment of birder from the birds, though may restrict the birder's view to only birds on mudflats but not flying birds.  Photographers may need to adjust tripod height from time to time. I still dream of a columnless window design.
Nevertheless, the room for improvement should not overshadow the great work done.  "Excellent and well done!" to everyone involved in the design and construction of the new bird hide.

Thread