Thread
Print

Japanese Murrelet ??? 冠海雀 ???

Sorry, just got back to my hall to process the photos. Here are some more photos for the murrelet that seen yesterday.

Attachment

murrelt03.jpg (0 Bytes)

6/05/2007 20:13

murrelt03.jpg

murrelt02.jpg (0 Bytes)

murrelt02.jpg

murrelt01.jpg (0 Bytes)

murrelt01.jpg

Tony Hung

I think the murrelet near Po Toi yesterday was quite different to the one I took in April. the bill was abosolutely different, blue grey compare to pink of Ancient Murrelet. the head of Ancient Murrelet is larger and flat. The colour is that bird is ligher than an Ancient Murrelet. But I am not keen on murrelet, maybe we can send the photos to Japanese experts for identification.

Attachment

ancient murrelet2.jpg (0 Bytes)

6/05/2007 20:17

ancient murrelet2.jpg

ancient murrelet.jpg (0 Bytes)

6/05/2007 20:17

ancient murrelet.jpg

Tony Hung

[quote:9cf6e16348="calexander"][quote:9cf6e16348="htunhei"]I think the murrelet near Po Toi yesterday was quite different to the one I took in April. the bill was abosolutely different, blue grey compare to pink of Ancient Murrelet. the head of Ancient Murrelet is larger and flat. The colour is that bird is ligher than an Ancient Murrelet. But I am not keen on murrelet, maybe we can send the photos to Japanese experts for identification.[/quote]

Please also note the black throat of Ancient Murrelet in summer plumage. Also on a lateral view, the eye of the Ancient Murrelet is situated slightly anterior to the midpoint between the forehead and nape, while for Japanese Murrelet, one have an impression that the eye is posterior to this midpoint in the head. I hope you can understand what I mean (please check the second photo from PWMK, 1st photo from myself,  2nd photo from John and 3rd photo from Tony)[/quote]

Thanks Alex
Tony Hung

Thread