Thread
Print

Help with ID please

Help with ID please

Can someone please help me with an Id for this bird. Think it's a juvenile Fork-Tailed Sunbird.

Thanks

Yes, it is a Fork-Tailed Sunbird, but not sure it is a juvenile. Can be an adult female. Other female-type sunbird are highly unlikely in HK, and are difficult to separate.

Thanks for your help. Thought I could see the shape of what could be a males tail on the upper picture but with none of the coloration on the feathers and on the lower picture no sign of developed tail feathers.

Really difficult to see because of the low light/quality of the pictures.

Quote:
Original posted by Bandrew at 22/08/2015 20:37
Thanks for your help. Thought I could see the shape of what could be a males tail on the upper picture but with none of the coloration on the feathers and on the lower picture no sign of developed tai ...
i think from the first photo, you can see the black and white in the tail .. probably a juv male as suggested ..
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

When were the photos taken? Are they recent or from earlier in the year (I notice you have been posting other photos from January/February)? That may help to resolve the age.

In my experience, juvenile sunbirds usually show a fairly obvious pale gape line and pale base to the bill. Although this would become less obvious over time, I don't think your bird is a juvenile (at least not a very young bird). Personally I would say that this is a female Fork-tailed Sunbird, most likely an adult.

Just checked and it was taken on the 25th of February last year.

Thread