Thread
Print

Directions to Long Valley

Directions to Long Valley

Hello,

Can anyone give directions to Long Valley using public transport?  I am interested in visiting the area, but not really sure how to get there or where exactly to go once in the area.  

I have seen the map of the area in the "Birding HK" section of the HKBWS website, but some more detailed directions would be a great help.

Thanks very much!

Dan

Hi Dan

I usually walk from Sheung Shui KCR station. Walk north from the station on the same side you come out, under the underpass where it crosses a main road, continue north past the industrial estate (if you cross the road here you can walk alongside the river), cross the river at the footbridge and continue north along a concrete road. The Long Valley fields are to your left about half a mile along this road, you can enter the fields wherever you please.

From here walking west you cross all the Long Valley fields and eventually end up at Yin Kong village, walk through to the main road and take a taxi back to Sheung Shui. Alternatively, walk back the same way you came.

You can wander where you like over the fields as long as you keep to the bunds. The best fields are often the unmade ones at the Yin Kong end but you can find birds anywhere.

I am a vagrant now at Long Valley, someone else can tell you where the good birds are.

Thanks Geoff for your directions.  I may use them this weekend.

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent bicycles in Sheng Shui?

Thanks,
Dan

Long Valley can also be accessed from bus 76K (Yuen Long - Fanling) or red minibus 17 (Yuen Long - Sheung Shui), getting off either at Yin Kong. It's perhaps easier to find first time by following Geoff's directions though!

I don't know about bike rentals in Sheung Shui, but there are a couple of bike shops. Perhaps you could try asking there?

Dear Dan,

I'm sorry for my late response.
Besides the transportation suggested by Geoff and John, you may also take the green minibus at the terminal station next to the Sheung Shui KCR station. Either green minibus 50K which get off at Yin Kong or 51K at Ho Sheung Heung (the terminal station) is ok.
I'm sorry I don't have any idea about the bicycle rental service in Sheung Shui.
Hope this helps.

Vicky

Thread