Thread
Print

[Ducks] Hybrid Shoveler x Garganey at Mai Po

I just send the link of this thread to Sebastien Reeber to get his feedback and opinion regarding this bird.
Below a short summaryze of his reply :

"these pictures ar showing obviously what is known of nybride Northern Shoveler x Garganey. The bill itself indicate shoveler for one of the parent, also shown by rufous on flanks and the dark greenish tinge of the head for example/ Garganey is indicated by the dark iris, the breast and upperwing pattern. I saw a similar bird at Grand Lieu (lake and nature reserve on the atlantic coast).

So not too much doubt about the identity of this hybrid, as it is showing features of both parents and some intermediate features (legs for example). The only problem could be its origin (I raise to him the question that many wild duck species are raised in China for food and restaurant as talked before on the forum). I strongly believe that iss origin is wild, but according to the context you (me) described in China, have to be cautious. In France, Northern Shoveler and Garganey are rarely holds in captivity, raisers preferring more exotic species, therefor and according to their abundance in the wild, there is little chance that these two species interbreed and that such hybrid are of captive origin and escaped. But it's not impossible, in that case one of the parents could be one of the 3 other shoveler species, smithii, platalea or rhynchotis, even the dark head and the rufous flanked eliminate the two first.

In conclusion, except particular local context that there is no reason to think it is an escapee and that it is surely a hybrid Northern Shoveler x Garganey." Sebastien Reeber

Thread