Thread
Print

Bird Hide #1

WWF have previously stated that the work on the hide will be completed in September. This was mentioned in an earlier thread, but an update before the recent work started would have been useful in this case I think: http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... &extra=page%3D1
I don't know whether this means early September or late September, but I would guess that it is more likely to be later. Unfortunately that means that work will be ongoing throughout much of the migration period for shorebirds. Hopefully work will take into account the use of the scrape by shorebirds. And hopefully the birds will be visible from Hide 3 or Hide 7 during that period, although I suspect there is a chance that many will instead use GW#21 and be rather distant.

I was at the reserve yesterday and there seems to be little or no progress compared to the photo from 13 August. Based on current rates of work it is looking very unlikely that the hide will be completed before the wintering waterbirds return to the reserve (especially as there are already lots of returning waders and even the first ducks).
It would be great if WWF could provide an update on the current status of the work on this hide, and when work is expected to be finished.

Attachment

20160904_131726(2).jpg (170.32 KB)

5/09/2016 13:24

20160904_131726(2).jpg

The work at Hide 1 is still not completed. On my visit to Mai Po today, there seems to have been little or no progress from the photos on this thread - just a few vertical poles, no walls, no floor and no roof. Grasses on the seaward island have been cut, but not yet at the landward end of the scrape (this maybe waiting until the hide is completed, as suggested in WWF's response).

Is there an update and a revised schedule for completion of the rebuilding work? I guess it will be reopened before the winter season, is that still the plan?

Thread