Thread
Print

New Archive?

New Archive?

Now that the season has quietened down, and the number of interesting migrants has dwindled, I would like the raise the possibility of creating an archive of the photos submitted.  This could be an index of the full Hong Kong list, with a full list of species and icons to click for photos (something like the one on Birdforum which has the more ambitious world list).  We are lucky in Hong Kong to have such talented photographers who make their work available.  Some of the photos are tremendous aids to identification, at least as good as some of the field guide samples, and having them in an archive would be easier to access that the current system.  

It could also include an icon for sound recordings - that might also stimulate more interest in audio recording and making sound files available, which is a tremendous help in identification.  

So for example, someone who had seen a suspected emerald dove and would like to check out diagnostic features could click on this species name and get instant access to any photos and recordings currently on the site.

I really don’t know the technical details of how this might work or how much effort it would involve, but I'm just putting it forward as a proposal for discussion.
who sit and watch...

Great!  Sounds good.  Maybe I'll be able to lend a hand too.
who sit and watch...

Thread