Thread
Print

Help with Warbler ID - Lamma

Help with Warbler ID - Lamma

Am a little confused with this one as was acting similar to a Bush Warbler inasmuch as was jumping from branch to branch as opposed to flitting in the manner of a Dusky... seemed larger as well... (was the only shot I got before it disappeared)
Tai Shan West, Lamma Island, Hong Kong
11:42 - Wednesday, 5th April 2017
D500 300 AFS 1:4D

The reddish-brown crown and head colour seems right for Japanese/Manchurian Bush Warbler to me.

Ah... I see... when you mentioned Japanese, thought you meant as opposed to Manchurian/Chinese... think the head colour of this one is a flatter colour than the rufous & more distinct difference to the back colour of the Manchurian... but then I rarely get warblers right anyway

Still not sure about this one... & have looked at many pics of Japanese vs Manchurian/Chinese & am more inclined towards Japanese as I feel there is not enough colour on the head to be Manchurian/Chinese (Horornis borealis) having a rufous head , unlike the Japanese Bush (Horornis diphone) which has a more olive brown head blending more into the back colour, unlike the (borealis)..... although am happy to be corrected

Thread