Print

Is it a whiten Sandpiper??? 白化的鷸???

Is it a whiten Sandpiper??? 白化的鷸???

Is it a whiten Sandpiper???   :?:  :?:  :?:
Ng Tung River near Shung Shui railway station
21/10/2006
Nikon D50
1/250 F5.6  ISO400 400mm

I saw it on Saturday on the opposite site of the river where feeding with a wood sandpiper, its behavior seems like a wood sandpiper except the withe color of the whole body.  Later it flew away with a wood sandpiper.
Its size is a little bit large than a wood sandpiper, about 10 in. (one inch larger)

Can any experts identify it???
Thanks in advance.     
Bill               Early enthusiast gets more birds

I think it's a Common Redshank, Bill.

Mike Turnbull

Albino?

The bird is leucistic rather than albino - note that it has some pigmentation (the pattern of the the wings and tail is still visible)

As for species, I think this is a wood sandpiper. It seems a little too delicate for redshank (in particular the legs, neck and bill seem fairly long and narrow) Also the visible plumage pattern on the first photo suggests wood sand, as does habitat and behaviour (redshank are actually fairly unusual away from Mai Po). Leg/bill colour favour redshank but this is not a useful feature on birds with abnormal coloration.

Yeah, John, I agree with the point about the location etc. and if it was with Wood Sands, it probably was one.

Still, it would pass for Common Red. if we didn't know where it was and what it was with - I can just about see what you mean about "visible plumage pattern" in #1, but the legs, in apparent thickness as well as colour seem so much more like Common Red.

Mike Turnbull

Anyone know why I can't see the image?

I could see the pictures from other subsection, but the pictures in this subject failed...

THanks

Thread