Thread
Print

Hong Kong engraved leg flags 香港號碼足旗

Hello ajohn,
Thanks a lot, now I understand.

Quote:
Original posted by 梁厚鍵 at 17/03/2012 19:14
2012/3/17 1800 hours, at Tai Sang Wai Hong Kong, sighted 3 Chinese Bulbuls each with a grey colored (aluminum?) ring on its right tarsus only, without any colored flag on the other leg.
Looking for ex ...
其實不同品種的雀鳥研究會使用不同的環誌方法/系統,有興趣進一步了解的話,可參考以下的連結:
給觀鳥班同學:一些鳥類環誌研究的資料(Bird Ringing Information)

17-Mar 18:30 Gei wai #11

Eurasian Curlew: A3 and another one with plain white-over-yellow flag

Pied Avocet: A5

Katherine

Mai Po boardwalk 20 March 2012

Marsh sandpiper A3, S2

Mai Po boardwalk 21 March 2012 (John & Jemi Holmes, Richard Lewthwaite)

Curlew Sandpiper E9, H5, K4, R9, V6; also one individual 10% b/p with orange flag on right leg.
Great Knot L3
Grey Plover C1, H1, H4, H9, J4, J5, K2
Common Redshank A4
Common Greenshank A0, A1
Greater Sand Plover C3, C7

Thanks for these sightings. You obviously had a very good day at the Boardwalk!
Nice to see some returning Curlew Sandpipers. Coincidentally, 2 of these birds (E9 and H5) were flagged exactly one year ago, on 21 March 2011.
Great Knot L3 and Greater Sand Plover C7 are actually birds which have been here over the winter rather than returning individuals

If possible, please check the report of C3 on Greater Sand Plover - this flag has not yet been used on this species. It may be a different flag number.

With the returning waders, there may be many more reports to come in the next few weeks. Please continue to post any resightings. To date, we have received resightings of 269 individual birds with engraved flags (out of 689 flagged).

Mai Po boardwalk 22 March 2012

Pacific Golden Plover H8, H9, J6, J7, K9
Black-tailed Godwit B7
Curlew Sandpiper C1, H1, M3, V6
Pied Avocet J0
Eurasian Curlew A0, A3
Common Greenshank D4, E7

John & Jemi Holmes may have seen some others

Some interesting resightings again today. You may be particularly interested to know that Curlew Sandpiper H1 was last reported on 5th May 2011, in Bohai Bay (on the Yellow Sea near Tianjin), about 1900km from Hong Kong!

Richard's reports also include two presumed migrant Pacific Golden Plovers (H8 and H9, not seen since last spring - the others were seen here in February).
In addition to these I had another Curlew Sandpiper not yet reported here (E3) and a Greater Sand Plover (H1)

Leg flags Waders seen on March 22, 2012

In addition to Richard's list of March 22, 2012
Marsh Sandpiper N7, P0, R3
Grey Plover  J7 K7

and
Greenshank x 1 , Curlew Sandpiper x1, Golden Plover x1  with plain white over yellow leg flags.

[ Last edited by John Holmes at 22/03/2012 22:49 ]
http://johnjemi.hk

March 23, 2012 Boardwalk

Eurasian Curlew A4
Grey Plover L7, C1,K2
Seen at incoming tide.

24 Mar 2012, incoming tide at Mai Po boardwalk:
Greenshank: E7, E5, A6, one without number
Marsh Sandpiper: A1, A3
Avocet: D7

HF Cheung

MP Mudflat 25Mar2012

Pied Avocet D6, D8, E8, K0
Tony Hung

Flagged waders on incoming tide, 25th March 2012

Grey Plover K2, L7, L8

Eurasian Curlew A3

Common Greenshank A4, A5, R5 + one with no letters/numbers

Sorry for posting twice this thread, but I thought it was a good idea to post it here again :

Guangdong ENGRAVED FLAG : Informations
Dear All,

In the matter of a study on Swinhoe's Plover and Kentish Plover subspecies in South China, a new marking programm has been set up on waders. Facing a lack of color combinaisons for flag in Asia, decision has been taken that the same code as the HongKong one will be used since it is the same geographic region.
Anyway we've tried to make some differences with the bird flagged in HongKong and the one will be flagged on the Guangdong coast.
So in the future please paid attention to the following details :
- Birds flagged in HongKong :
Color combinaison and Flag Shape : White over Yellow on RIGHT LEG, both Flags are square ended
Metal ring : on LEFT LEG
Engraving combinaison and position : for the moment 1 LETTER following by 1 NUMBER, both YELLOW and WHITE FLAG are engraved

-Birds flagged in Guangdong :
Color combinaison and Flag Shape : White over Yellow on LEFT LEG, Yellow flag square ended, White Flags angle ended
Metal ring : on RIGHT LEG
Engraving combinaison and position : 2 numbers, only YELlOW FLAG is engraved

I join 2 pictures below for example.

The first trapping session has occured last week, a total of 17 birds has been flagged, including 10 Swinhoe's / Kentish Plover, 4 Greater Sand Plover, 1 Common Sandpiper and 1 Dunlin. Please note that even the study is only on Kentish and Swinhoe's Plover, other species will also be flagged, so please be carrefull in the future when encountering a flagged bird and paid attention to the above description. I will reguraly update here the list of the species has been flagged in Guangdong.

In case of any resighting in HongKong or anywhere else, you can post it following the dedicated thread on shorebirds category.

Thanks

Jonathan

Attachment

SwinhoesPloverFemaleDSCN5714ChinaGuangdongXitou20120321.jpg (170.77 KB)

25/03/2012 20:46

Swinhoe's Plover Female Guangdong Xitou March 21st 2012

SwinhoesPloverFemaleDSCN5714ChinaGuangdongXitou20120321.jpg

KentishPloverMaleIMG_0256ChinaGuangdongXitou20120322.jpg (145.19 KB)

25/03/2012 20:46

Kentish Plover Male Presumably ssp Nihonensis Guangdong Xitou March 22nd 2012

KentishPloverMaleIMG_0256ChinaGuangdongXitou20120322.jpg

Flagged waders were sighted on March 26 2012 on incoming tide:
Eurasian Curlew  A4
Grey Plover L8 & L4

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
25 Mar 2012, outing tide at Mai Po boardwalk
Curlew Sandpiper: Red flag (S. Australia according to one birdwatcher)

HF Cheung

I've made a mystake about the HK flag combinaison, the metal ring is putted on the right leg, same leg as the flags but on the tarsus, where on the birds flagged in Guangdong, the metal ring is on the opposite leg of the flag (right leg also) but on the tibia.
Soory about that.

Jonathan

Ho-fai, The Curlew Sandpiper you posted has an orange flag (rather than red). This indicates that the bird was flagged in Victoria, SE Australia.

29th March 2012 at the old hides

Greenshank "E7"  (muddy, but close)

Great Knot "L3"   - still around !

A couple of new arrivals at MP today were Greater Sand Plover K4 and Curlew Sandpiper R3, both on #16/17 at high tide.
Also a noticeable increase in Great Knot today, but no leg-flagged birds.

Mai Po boardwalk 30 March 2012

Black-tailed Godwit K9
Greenshank E5

Curlew Sandpiper orange right, 90% b/p

From the boardwalk this morning :
Common Greenshank A6
Eurasian Curlew A3

31 March 2012  Pond 16,17  16:00hrs
Black-winged Stilt K8

31 March 2012
Mai Po Boardwalk
Grey Plover: J1, L8, L9, M1?, A?

Red-necked Stint: 1 Blue over White?

Greater Sandplover C7

Curlew Sandpiper: V7, M1?, 1 orange/red (no photo)

Marsh Sandpiper: A3, and 1 without number

Greenshank: A6, E7

Black-faced Spoonbill:
White-yellow-red at Boardwalk
Red-white-yellow at pond 16/17

HF Cheung

[ Last edited by HFCheung at 2/04/2012 20:30 ]

31 March 2012
Mai Po Boardwalk

Some more Grey Plovers:
L5,  J4,  H2, L7

Sighted Hong Kong engraved leg flag E4 on 2012/4/4 at about 0800 hours at Nam Sang Wai Road Hong Kong. The wader appears to me to be a Common Greenshank, but I am not sure as I am very green in birding watching. Anyone can help tracing what the wader is?
Thank you.

There have been a few species in HK flagged with the combination E4. Given the information that you thought the bird was a Greenshank, I think this limits the possibilities to only three birds: Common Greenshank, Common Redshank or perhaps Terek Sandpiper. The other species flagged with E4 (Red-necked Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, Greater Sandplover and Pied Avocet) should not be confusable with Greenshank. The usual confusion species with Greenshank is Marsh Sandpiper, but this has not yet been flagged with the combination E4.

Common Greenshank E4 was flagged in September 2011 and has been resighted twice at Mai Po in mid-March 2012. Common Redshank E4 was flagged in September 2010 and has never been reported. Terek Sandpiper E4 was flagged in September 2011 and has also never been reported. On balance, I think you are probably correct and the bird you saw was the Common Greenshank.

Thank you for reporting this sighting - we have had surprinsingly few resightings from Nam Sang Wai.

Thank you,John.

With the information you provided, I concurred that what I saw this morning at Nam Sang Wai with a Hong Kong flag E4 was a Common Greenshank, as I doubted at the moment I saw it whether it was a Common Greenshank or Marsh Sandpiper, as it has none of the outstanding characteristics of the other species you mentioned.

By the way, are there any specific meaning with the fist alphabet and the following numeric of the engraved leg flag? I am immensely love to know more about bird watching as I am green in it, and I really mean it. I started birding watching only since February 2012. So far I watched 22 times with 17 of which on waders, as it is only a 20 minutes bicycle ride from my home to Nam Sang Wai.

Please advise.

The numbers on the flags allow each individual bird to be recognised in the field. The white over yellow flag combination indicates that the bird was flagged in Hong Kong, and since 2010 we have been using these engraved flags so that individuals can be recognised (there are still some birds around with plain white over yellow flags). The actual letter/number combination dones't really mean anything, except to allow us to identify the individual (all of these birds also have a number metal ring, but this cannot be read without retrapping the bird).

We mostly follow a sequence A0-A9, B0-B9, etc. but some species have not been used strictly in sequence. This is the reason for example that Marsh Sandpiper has not used E4, despite there being other individuals with later letter/number combinations - E4 will be used later on this species. For some species (especially Curlew Sandpiper) we have nearly run out of letter-number combinations and will soon move onto letter-letter combinations.

The information from these flags allows us to know more about the movement of individual birds, including the length of time they spend in Hong Kong, their movements around the Deep Bay area, and in some cases their movements overseas. Since 2010 we have had resightings of engraved Hong Kong flags in northern China, Australia and Indonesia. Different colour combinations indicate different flagging locations, and birds can be seen in Hong Kong with flags from overseas, especially Australia (single yellow or orange flags) and Chongming, China (Black over white flags).

I hope this sufficiently explains the background to the flagging system.

Mai Po boardwalk 5 April 2012

Greater Sand Plover E6

Curlew Sandpiper orange right 2 individuals: 50% bp and 90% bp

Hello John,

Thanks very much the detail information on the engraved leg flag, that's a very good education to a new comer like me.

Thanks again,
HK

31/3/12 MP Boardwalk

E7

A8

[ Last edited by vivian at 5/04/2012 21:41 ]

Mai Po boardwalk 6 April 2012

Greenshank D4
Eurasian Curlew A3

Mai Po on 6 April 2012

Boardwalk
Grey Plover: L2

Redshank: S5

Avovet: D7

Pond 16-17
Eurasian Curlew: A0

Black-winged Stilt: K8

Marsh Sandpiper: 1 no number

Curlew Sandpiper: 1 orange flag

Greenshank: A6

HF Cheung

Pied Avocet 'H5' on GW #3, 12:00, 12 April 2012. Luckily it wasn't seen with 'N1'!

8 April 2012
Pond 16/17
Black-winged Stilt: K8

Greenshank: A1

Boardwalk
Curlew (Eurasian?): A3

9 April 2012
Pond 16/17
Grey Plover: M1, J1

Just outside Education Center (Pond 15?)
BF Spoonbill: E49/F49 and another 1 with metal ring only

HF Cheung

[ Last edited by HFCheung at 12/04/2012 20:23 ]

14 April 2012 Mai Po
From Boardwalk
Greater(?) Sandplover: L1

Common Greenshank: E6

Curlew Sandpiper: T4

From Pond 16/17 hide 7
Common Greenshank: A1

HF Cheung

22/4/2012
Mai PO
Pied Avocet J7

[ Last edited by cthomas at 22/04/2012 22:29 ]

Long-toed Stint H3 on a drained pond on Mai Po access road.

[ Last edited by sdavid at 23/04/2012 13:47 ]

24-4-2012
Mai Po Mudflat
Black-tailed Godwit N7

25/03/2012
Mai Po
Grey Plover
L8

L7

L9

22/04/2012
Mai Po
Black-tailed godwit

[ Last edited by hkinni at 28/04/2012 13:09 ]

Today  

反嘴鷸 Pied Avocet H9 Tam Kon Chau Road

彎嘴濱鷸 Curlew Sandpiper Y1

Mai Po Board Walk

[ 本帖最後由 Late 於 28/04/2012 20:37 編輯 ]

Attachment

DSC_3910.JPG (130.8 KB)

28/04/2012 20:34

DSC_3910.JPG

DSC_3973.JPG (136.86 KB)

28/04/2012 20:34

DSC_3973.JPG

Any Wrong? pointing it!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HongKongWildBirds

H3.  This is Long-toed Stint.  Isn't it?
MP access road, 26 April 2012

[ Last edited by msamuel at 29/04/2012 17:17 ]

30 April 2012, 13:30, Gei wai #16/17, MPNR
N1 & N2, both Black-tailed Godwit

Thank you all for continuing to report sightings. Most of the recent reports have been of recently-flagged birds, but it is interesting that we are getting some older reports - some Greenshank and Redshank flagged in 2010 have been seen recently. There are also returning Curlew Sandpipers, Terek Sandpipers and Grey-tailed Tattlers which were flagged in 2011 (not all sightings are posted on this website). It is interesting that we are also getting sightings away from Mai Po reserve, including the Long-toed Stint which spent much of last week along the Mai Po Access Road (the bird photographed by Samuel).

We have also just received an observation away from HK - a Grey Plover (J3) resighted at Nanpu, Bohai Bay (Hebei province) in mid-April. This is the first resighting of a Grey Plover with engraved flags outside Hong Kong, but we have previously had reports of birds with plain Hong Kong flags at Yalujiang. J3 was flagged at Mai Po in early March.

Flags on the Deep Bay tideline, 3rd May 2012

Curlew Sandpipers  "Z 0", "Z 2", "Z 4", and "Z 9"  also "X 7"

Greater ? Sand Plover "A 2"

Grey-rumped Tattler "A 5"

[ Last edited by John Holmes at 7/05/2012 14:57 ]

WWF Continues the Journey with Migratory Birds: Nearly 2,000 migratory shorebirds have been flagged in Hong Kong over the past 11 years

http://www.wwf.org.hk/en/news/pr ... ith-Migratory-Birds

12May2012
Mai Po #16/17
Common Greenshank D7
Black-winged Stilt K8
Tony Hung

Mai Po broadwalk, 11May 2012
Red-necked Stint
Can't read anything on metal rings at all

Another one

Thread