Thread
Print

Ecological Monitoring Survey For Jul - Aug 7 - 8 月生態調查報告

Thank you for sharing the ecological monitoring data.

According to the latest monitoring report, the highest count of bats emerging from the noticeboard was 69 (counts conducted in July 2019).  Comparing this with the observations made for the ecological assessment published in May 2019, more bats were roosting at the noticeboard. Now hoardings are erecting at the Mai Po carpark.

A.6.61 Low numbers of bats (Pipistrelle sp.) were recorded emerging from the roost in the noticeboard (no more than three individuals). Several bats were recorded foraging around the PSFSC building and forecourt shortly after sunset, though there was no evidence of these emerging from the building itself. These appeared to arrive from the east. A review should be carried out by the qualified ecologist, in consultation with AFCD, to determine the most appropriate course of action, i.e. translocation, or development of an exclusion strategy for the noticeboard.

Since there are new ecological findings at the site, I would like to know what measures will be taken by WWF - Hong Kong to protect the roosting bats before the demolition of the PCFSC? Will translocation or development of an exclusion strategy for the noticeboard (i.e. mitigation measures proposed in the ecological assessment) still be considered? How will the measures follow the conservation principle of “avoidance first, mitigation/compensation last”?

Thank you for your attention!

Best Regards,
Chuan
香港觀鳥會 HKBWS

Thread