Thread
Print

what kind of flycatcher?

what kind of flycatcher?

Mai Po 10-09-07

I think it could be a Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher, though others on here are probably better placed to confirm it's id.

The large eye, with whitish eyering, the heavy bill  and the reddish tail are the features I'm going on here.  Can't really see the lowerparts very well but the appear to be much lighter than the uppers.

I'm not sure, but I think there was one at Mai Po at a similar sort of time last year.

I'd be interested to see what others say though.

As Dave says there was one of these at Mai Po last year, and I think the year before too.

However, there are a couple of features which do not fit Brown-chested Flycatcher.

One is the all-black bill and the other is the rather long tail (although this may simply be the angle)

I think this is a rather early female Blue-and-white Flycatcher, which has an all-black bill large eyering and can show a reddish tail.

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Having another look Mike, I agree.  I wasn't thinking of that. It does look much more lightweight too than BC fly. Sorry if I misled anyone.  

Just as a sidenote, the "whiskers" (sorry if there is an anatomical name for these feathers) that many flycatchers (any other insectivorous birds that seem to catch on the wing) have around the base of the bill - are these to help guide any wayward insect-prey into the bill?  Just curiousity really.

she is female Blue-and-white Flycatcher!!

THX~david &  mike

Thread