Thread
Print

Purple Cochoa? 紫寬嘴鶇?

Hate to spoil the party, but whilst this is clearly a Purple Cochoa, I am aware of no records away form the breeding areas; it is partial altitudinal migrant at best.  This seems highly unlikely to be a natural vagrant.

The one picture available suggests some damage to the primaries.  I look forward to seeing other pictures.

On the positive side, this is one of the best photos of Purple Cochoa I have seen.

I have been slightly misquoted by Geoff as I did not say that the bird shows enough feather damage to not be considered a wild bird - I stated that I thought the damage was atypical of a wild bird, a subtle (and perhaps pedantic!) difference.

However, the atypical damage I refer to consists of:

Damage to a number of tail feathers with what appears to be a large chunk out of the left hand outer feather and extensive abrasion to the tip of one of the central pair.

Damage to the tips and outer webs of the outer primaries in the form of numerous small nicks

The feet also show a strange reddish area near the base of the tarus which may well be normal for Purple Cochoa but could be indicative of a cage bird infection such a bumblefoot.

Thread