Flycatcher ID??

Flycatcher ID??

4-2-08
Siu Lek Yuen

[ Last edited by Ken at 12/07/2008 17:55 ]

It looks like a Small Niltava to me.
Is it stable at Siu Lik Yuen?

Gary

Looks to me like a Hainan Blue Flycatcher (they are paler underneath than Small Niltava and this bird has no "niltava spot" of shiny blue on the side of the neck)

There are a few winter records in Hong Kong, but its a pretty amazing record with all this cold weather to have a summer visitor staying!

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

[quote:e63a468efc="cgary"]It looks like a Small Niltava to me.
Is it stable at Siu Lik Yuen?

Gary[/quote]

No,it is Siu Lik Yuen first record.

and thank mike info.

Ken

I'm confused by these 2 species.
In my observation, the ultramarine blue neck spot in Small Niltava is not always seen especially in absence of flash light. Two sets of photo recently posted on this forum presumably showing the same male Small Niltava can has different outlook. Please check:
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9843&sid=e55fd9ff8d507c8f3b281d94f49de2ae#9843
and
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9841&sid=e55fd9ff8d507c8f3b281d94f49de2ae#9841

Color of breast could be a useful feature to tell the different. But after searching on the web for their photo, I found that bill length and leg's color could provide a more definite answer. Hainan Blue Flycatcher is longer bill while Small Niltava is smaller. Unfortunately, Ken's photo not clear enough to show this feature, and I'm still not 100% convinced that it's Hainan Blue.

Gary

more photo, Gary
9/2/08
same place

The subsequently submitted photos show clearly the forehead and shoulder patches that identify this is as Small Niltava.

Geoff

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that small niltava would show a darker, more bluish chest, and darker legs (rather than pinkish in the last photo by Gary) Most importantly the shining blue patch of small niltava, if seen, would fall on the neck rather than the shoulder, suggesting Hainan Blue Flycatcher in our case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that small niltava would show a darker, more bluish chest, and darker legs (rather than pinkish in the last photo by Gary) Most importantly the shining blue patch of small niltava, if seen, would fall on the neck rather than the shoulder, suggesting Hainan Blue Flycatcher in our case.

Thread