Thread
Print

MPNR Closed for 21 days : 06 February 2008 米埔由二月六日起封閉 21 天

Politics and bureaucracy not science

The witch hunt vs wild birds has eased, but is clearly not over.

Hong Kong was the first place to blame wild birds for spread of H5N1 (poultry flu variant); and not gonna stop blaming wild birds no matter the evidence.

Here's a bureaucratic, knee-jerk reaction, driven not by science by by paper pushers who likely barely leave the office (anyone ordering Mai Po closures ever walked around the reserve at such times, ever noticed that - as yet - not one case of H5N1 poultry flu at the reserve?).

I've protested before, long railed against blaming wild birds for being major vectors of H5N1 poultry flu. But what's the use; logic and commonsense go out the window when a witch hunt is in progress.
Hong Kong Outdoors enjoying and protecting wild Hong Kong. DocMartin includes H5N1 and wild birds info

Mai Po to reopen on 27th?

Is Mai Po set to reopen on 27th?
- maybe getting confused by occasional dead reports, but thought I'd read of another h5n1 victim in the area, so wondered if date might be pushed back.

Anyone at all able to justify the closure on scientific grounds?
(I imagine bureaucratic bumbling paper pushers look at the ground when asked such things, or rather desperately try to refer questioners to info from elsewhere, which the bureaucrats themselves don't have solid grasp of.)
Hong Kong Outdoors enjoying and protecting wild Hong Kong. DocMartin includes H5N1 and wild birds info

Thread