ID Help!

ID Help!

Deep Bay
06/04/2008

Your help please for id this shorebird.
Thanks!
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

No idea......, beautiful shot nonetheless !!

With a slightly upswept bill I would say this is a non-breeding Bar-tailed godwit, Limosa lapponica. However I am not an expert!!

Andrew

The tail plumage pattern doesn't led me to believe it's a Bar-tailed however ...  :?
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

This is a classic Bar-tailed Godwit of the nominate race in non-breeding plumage. This excellent photograph shows all flight feathers to be fresh (a bird born last year would show worn primaries and tail at this time of year) and the pattern of the central rectrices and tertials are also those of an adult.

Beautiful shots!

agree with Andrew
Quote:
With a slightly upswept bill I would say this is a non-breeding Bar-tailed godwit...
" Black-tailed Godwit shows white wing bar and black and white tail..."  The bird of HK & S China

The tail has a little bit mottled look to me.

This is a classic Bar-tailed Godwit of the nominate race in non-breeding plumage. This excellent photograph shows all flight feathers to be fresh (a bird born last year would show worn primaries and tail at this time of year) and the pattern of the central rectrices and tertials are also those of an adult.

[quote:bca2751043="wjemi"] ... " Black-tailed Godwit shows white wing bar and black and white tail..."  The bird of HK & S China
The tail has a little bit mottled look to me.[/quote]

That's exactly the point! The tail pattern looks nothing like what's illustrated in the book(s)!
I'm confused ...  :?
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

KK, A great flight shot. It may be worth looking out for Bar-tailed Godwit's with radio transmitters on them

http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/shorebirds/barg_maps.html

Thread