Thread
Print

應否公開稀有鳥類的位置? Should locations of rarities be publicized?

temp

Firstly, can I suggest that this thread be split in two, one to dicuss the bird itself and another to discuss the issues surrounding it.

However, regarding the bird, yes it is a first-winter due to (for example) the pale fringed tertials, greater coverts and scapulars.

Regarding the right of others to see it, I think if you put pictures of a bird on the forum asking for others to spend their time and use their expertise to help identify it you should be prepared to share the information regarding its location with others.  If you do not want to share that information then don't post the photos.  It is pretty simple really, if I know there is a good bird out there somewhere, I would like to see it (especially if I helped to identify it!), if I can't see it (for whatever reason) I get upset.  If I don't even know it is there I do not get upset!

There are rarely birds that need to be kept quiet, but this was not one of those birds as it tolerated much disturbance from workers and members of the public when I was there.

However, I learnt a lot from this bird (even though I have seen many elsewhere, few have been in this plumage - and none in Hong Kong!); and like many others I enjoy seing birds I have not seen in HK before.  Birding should be fun, interesting and a learning expereince and sharing rare birds is certainly one way to contribute to it being so.

Arguing about seeing rare birds is not.

[ Last edited by lpaul at 11/10/2008 23:37 ]

temp

Firstly, can I suggest that this thread be split in two, one to dicuss the bird itself and another to discuss the issues surrounding it.

However, regarding the bird, yes it is a first-winter due to (for example) the pale fringed tertials, greater coverts and scapulars.

Regarding the right of others to see it, I think if you put pictures of a bird on the forum asking for others to spend their time and use their expertise to help identify it you should be prepared to share the information regarding its location with others.  If you do not want to share that information then don't post the photos.  It is pretty simple really, if I know there is a good bird out there somewhere, I would like to see it (especially if I helped to identify it!), if I can't see it (for whatever reason) I get upset.  If I don't even know it is there I do not get upset!

There are rarely birds that need to be kept quiet, but this was not one of those birds as it tolerated much disturbance from workers and members of the public when I was there.

However, I learnt a lot from this bird (even though I have seen many elsewhere, few have been in this plumage - and none in Hong Kong!); and like many others I enjoy seing birds I have not seen in HK before.  Birding should be fun, interesting and a learning expereince and sharing rare birds is certainly one way to contribute to it being so.

Arguing about seeing rare birds is not.

[ Last edited by lpaul at 11/10/2008 23:37 ]

Thread