Thread
Print

應否公開稀有鳥類的位置? Should locations of rarities be publicized?

Quote:
Original posted by HFCheung at 9/10/2008 09:32
2. Limit the time that you observe the bird, say to 1-2 hours.  
I agree very much with Fai Gor for this point. The suggestion is especially for photographers, I don't think we need superb close-ups.

I think all concerns are about whether the bird-watchers and/or bird-photographers all show self-discipline. I don’t think this is a problem for bird lovers like most members in HKBWS, or some other nature-lovers. Even the locals and construction workers nearby contributes more disturbance to the bird than bird-watchers! But I do worry if the information is being told to some non-birders photographers who may extensively disturb the bird.

About disturbing the local residents nearby, I don’t think it is likely to happen. I didn’t see such serious conflicts happening in Lai Chi Kok Park last year (although sometimes birders/photographers do block the paths in the park), as locals could understand what and why we are there, if we (as birders) explained our situation to them. To me it is wise to trust both birders and locals. It is happy to be friend and chat with local people there too. (I am not sure if people in Ho Man Tin are unkind, but birders must respect them first.)

I agree that the birdline is really a great contribution which facilitates all birders in Hong Kong. But it is up to the bird-finder to contribute to birdline because the information can spread really fast in such case. I don’t recommend the information to be put on birdline in case of such a rare bird, unless in save locations which provide lots of space for the bird.

Beetle Cheng Nok Ming

Thread