Thread
Print

Mikania in Tai Po Kau

Mikania in Tai Po Kau

It is now the flowering season for Mikania.  This week, Mikania is highly visible in many areas in HK.  I am surprised to see the danse area of Mikania at Tai Po Kau, some of that is by the family trial on the slope above the farm house.  Hope that AFCD will send someone to clear them up.

This photo is taken next to the Tai Po Kau gate.

Do anyone has an idea of how to clear HK of Mikania?

HF Cheung

Removal by hand is not effective for such large quantity of Mikania. What are the methods that can remove a lot of them effectively? I understand farmers using herbicides. That could be a problem if organic farming is practiced nearby. Is the use of fire effective? How about using plastic sheets to cover them?

How do the seed of Mikania spread? I know it is by wind. Is there any good way to stop their seed spread to another area?

HF Cheung

Mai Po also has lot of Mikania.  Here are some volunteers removing them today.  There are also Mikania removing activity in Long Valley today, organized by Conservancy Association.

I was puzzled.  Mikania has been flowering for several weeks already.  It seems it is still OK to remove them at this time.

HF Cheung

Thread