Thread
Print

[China] Birding in Taipei

阿崔,
If you go to Taipei only, I would recommend 台北植物園 where you can see Malayan Night Heron very close to you! I have also seen Black-naped Monarch, Brown Shrike, Black-browed Barbet (五色鳥) and Grey Treepie there during my visit to Taipei last November. It is a park just like Kowloon Park in HK. You don't need to walk long distance to find birds and you can ask birders there and they are very kind to bring you around to look for birds. It is a great place and Taiwan birders are nice too!
Taiwan birders also recommend 烏來 which is a sea-side forrest area. I haven't been there. But they said it is also a good place during migration period. Just like Po Toi, they got a number of rare birds and even "first" there. You can have a try.

Hi David,
According to my memory (I've been told about the status of Sacred Ibis in Taiwan in 2006 or 2007), almost all the "black and white" Ibis in Taiwan esp. Taipei are Sacred Ibis. The population of Sacred Ibis now goes to more than 200 (please correct me if I'm wrong). They still got records of Black-headed Ibis but are regarded as (very) rare bird.

Thread