Thread
Print

單筒作品試貼

Terrific capture.  Peter

Digiscoping set-up

it is interesting to read how Papago steadies the fieldscope set-up on his tripod. The photos below show how I set up my gears on Manfrotto's 501.

3  This one is a closer look at the DIY aluminium adaptal ring that links Nikon CP8400's adaptal ring with the concealed Swarovski's 30x-eyepiece to which the fieldscope is attached. The screw lines on the inner barrel of the DIY allows for the length of the adaptal ring to be adjustable. The adjustment makes it possible for vignetting to be reducible.

4.  The following shot was taken using the above gears. The shutter speed is at 1/6 of a second.

Dear Wing,
Not at all. The added load is the plank. I usually shoot in the afternoon for 2-3 hours and there are no problems carrying the set-up around. Worth mentioning is the 501 video head. The locks fasten well, so tilting, dropping and pivoting around the central axis happen scarecely.

I made the plank in order to accommodate with the use of a DSLR on the fieldscope. The fieldscope sticks fast to the wooden plank but because my fieldscope is an angled one, it is difficult to prevent vibration when a DSLR, an AFD 24-50mm Nikkor zoom and a DIY adaptal ring are further attached to the fieldscope; these additions will be hanging in the middle without a good anchorage point to the plank or the tripod for the purpose of stabilisation. At the same time, with these items added, the whole set-up will become pretty bulky and heavy. And worse still is that the advantages from such a set-up do not outweigh the ones from using the prosumer dc.

I am no good with carpentry. Perhaps, if the plank can be made into a double-deck one, with the lower one for the fieldscope and the upper one for the DSLR attachments, vibration can be reduced. Or, simply, if I just use a straight fieldscope, the problem can be resolved.

Pete

Thanks, Papago, for letting us how you set up your gears. Very useful information. Pete

Quote:
Original posted by cwchan at 29/05/2009 22:27
Those who would like to know how digiscopic shots look like. Please come to the Chan  Shiu Man Photo Alumni exhibition at Central Library, Causeway Bay. This year I exhibit a set of 6 wild-bird photos ...
They are all stunning. I heard people utter wows watching your shots, probably for the details they contain. A pity that there were just 6  shots in all, which made me feel that something was missing when leaving the venue. Pete

Quote:
Original posted by papago at 1/06/2009 21:01
可惜台灣都沒有類似的展覽 ... 只有線上展覽了
這兩天的新作品 , 黃昏拍的 , 光線不太好 ....
Canon A640 + Kamakura 83ed

http://digitraveler.homelinu ...
Love the details and vibrant colors the shots present.
Most of the shots are in landscape (i.e. horizontal) format. I have been wondering if it is possible to twist the prosumer digital camera for shooting in portrait (i.e. vertical) format?
Pete

Re the information "直拍可以把 DC 轉直", thanks. Pete

Quote:
Original posted by papago at 2/06/2009 17:05

iwingkay 兄不是已經這麼做了嗎 ?

Yes, I can do so for my set-up and it is pretty fast and easy: just loosen the second row of screws and then the prosumer digital camera at rear can be rotated in whatever angles I want.
I raised the question simply because I just wondered if the adaptal ring of the Kamakura 83ed could enable you to rotate the prosumer digital camera on the central axis. Just by looking at the photos you posted up here, I had the feeling that the rotation process was difficult to complete. With the reply you previously gave, the doubt has been cleared.
Again, thanks.
Regards,
Pete

Thread