Thread
Print

[Oversea] Tufted Puffin - UK Bird of the Decade?

Tufted Puffin - UK Bird of the Decade?

Here is a photo of the Tufted Puffin seen for 10 minutes at Oare Marshes, Kent in the UK on Wednesday.

As I said in my Po Toi report, unless it has escaped from a zoo somewhere (are there any free-flying birds in captivity?), this bird is several oceans and thousands of miles from where it should be.

It is already being talked of as UK Bird of the Decade 2000 to 2009, and ex UK birdwatchers will understand why.

What would Hong Kong's Bird of the Decade be? Siberian Crane? Japanese Murrelet? White-tailed Tropicbird? Great Thick-knee? Or has it yet to be seen?

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 21/09/2010 18:09 ]

I quote
'I thought Geoff's Ortolan was a pretty amazing record too - up there with Grey-necked Bunting (17 March 1990, also at Mai Po, by staggering coincidence - the luck of the Irish, I guess!)'

I would like to point out that I am not Irish, or even Welsh, despite the name. I'm pure English.

However, I agree the Grey-necked Bunting was a great record, seen by MT I believe, but unfortunately not in this decade.

I think we must have a competition for 'Hong Kong Bird of the Decade 2000-2009' at the right time (about 1 Jan 2010).

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 22/09/2009 03:01 ]

Thread