Thread
Print

ID Please

Looks like Northern to me, especially from first shot.

While there has clearly been a significant influx into South China with the exceptional weather in the last seven days or so, I think that with greater observer awareness, and a lot more people looking and taking photographs, it may turn out that this species is of rare, but regular occurrence in HK - I think the very first House Martin I saw in HK, at Tai Long Au on c 28 October 1987 was in fact Northern, as it too had a huge gleaming white rump, but it just shot through.

In fact, Brazil in Birds of East Asia says Northern occurs regularly in South China in winter, or something similar; does anyone know the reference he bases that statement on? Hopefully not on a misreading of Cheng who lumps Northern and Asian, though the Jabouille record of lagopoda for Guangzhou Bay may refer to Northern.

Mike Turnbull

Certainly agree this is very clearly Asian if the second set of pictures are the same as the first bird - in the first set of pictures, though we get an impression of a squarish tail, I can't see anything else that really points to Asian, and surely the white rump looks very extensive. Could all be just the light and angles and I defer to Paul's wider knowledge.

Mike Turnbull

Thread