Thread
Print

HKBWS Bulletin turn digital in the future?

HKBWS Bulletin turn digital in the future?

There were recent discussion in the HKBWS Executive Committee on whether the HKBWS Bulletin should be in digital version only?

At present, we are now printing 2000 copies, and they are full-colour.  Including the mailing cost, that is about HK$30000 every issue.  Other than money, mailing the bulletin also requires substantial manpower.

The arguments for digital bulletin are:

1. Printing that many copies is causing some damage to the earth that we love.  Turning it into digital format only can save some trees.
2. Digital bulletin is easier to send and easier to store.

The argument against are:
1. Many members prefer printed form, and some members would never read the digital form.  That is because they don't like to.  Some members do not use internet.  Many members rely on the printed bulletin as their only contact to the society.  Cutting off the printed bulletin would cut of some members to us.

I like to open the discussion here, to listen to our member's view on this.

HF Cheung

All the arguments sound valid obviously.  To me, it is a matter how much you weigh each of them.  I vote for both print and digital versions.  If I must select one, that will be the print version.

BTW, if to make the digital option looks more attractive, I suggest to have an online search system that can search all the available digital bulletins for certain words or topics and display the pages accordingly.

Thanks.  Samuel

[ Last edited by msamuel at 29/11/2009 23:54 ]

I agree with Samuel.

To me, the Society is three things - the Website, Birdline and the Quarterly Bulletin. They are all good value.

The Quarterly Bulletin is a great read but I would not enjoy it in digital. I want to be able to pick it up and put it down at odd moments. I want to carry it around and read it in the bus. I want to look back at earlier editions without using my computer.

To me, at $15 per edition or $60 a year out of the Annual Subscription, it's great value for money - but only in print form.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 30/11/2009 07:45 ]

Whilst I can understand why some members would like a hard copy, I am happy to have it in digital format.  

Once I've read through the Bulletin I don't keep it, so will put it into the recycling bin. This is purely as I don't have the space to keep them.

Is there scope for having both formats?

yes... let the HKBWS members to choose for themselves.

Lower the annual fees for member choosing e-format bulletin, and normal price for the print-out members.

I certainly support making a digital version available as an option. I would certainly choose this. I would not expect the subscription to be reduced.

Geoff

I would prefer to receive the Bulletin in digital format. Three reasons: smaller environmental footprint (save paper etc.) is the most important, followed by reducing my storage space requirements and saving money for the Society. However, I appreciate that others like the hard copy version. I would suggest keeping the price the same if one wishes to receive either digital or hard copy, but making a small extra charge for those who would like both.

Mike Leven

Agree that let the HKBWS members to choose for themselves.
But I prefer keep same membership fee either choose digital or hard copy version!

Quote:
Original posted by Sze at 2/12/2009 23:35
Agree that let the HKBWS members to choose for themselves.
But I prefer keep same membership fee either choose digital or hard copy version!
I will choose digital version.
Thomas.

keeping same membership fee is not a problem....
but for those who would like to have the print copy.... they have to pay for the printing cost (environmental cost) which shouldn't be shared by those who would like to just receive the digital format... extra-fee should be added to the hard copy users.

I still prefer soft copy.

However, I think the resolution/quality of the graphs should be improved.

I opt for a digital version. I would suggest a printed version per year which summarizes the annual HK birding situation.
Cheers

I prefer a printed version
http://blog.yahoo.com/puppymic

want to know the cost of each print out, also the cost of postage
想知道每份會訊的成本和郵費

Quote:
want to know the cost of each print out, also the cost of postage
想知道每份會訊的成本和郵費
"2000 copies including the mailing cost, about HK$30000 every issue" is it around $15 per copy?
http://blog.yahoo.com/puppymic

I still much prefer reading off a printed page rather than a computer screen. I'd be prepared to pay a surcharge for receiving a high quality printed copy. Richard

I like to have a printed copy.

請注意本會兩年前已經開始免費寄給全港中小學,去年開始只寄給中學,每期約500本。
Please note that we have sent free copies to all primary and secondary school since 2008, and from last year, only the secondary school get free copy. The total free copy is about 500.

Digital. People can buy hard copies if they like. Captain

Digital Copy is good enough

It's just a waste of money to make printed copies. Anyone who are interested to read, they will do so even if in digital format. For me, I'll read only informative parts to start with and go back again if I need further information in the digital bulletin and I don't have enough space to keep all of them. We're now a digital age people. Let's face it. For instance, no one will make thousands of copies of their photographs and carry heavy albums around anymore. Computers solve this problem. And as an example, all my photos are in my digital ablum (www.fotop.net/Ngwinghee) and I can see them anywhere in the world without spending a cent or carrying them around plus no storage is required. Above all, I can share my digital albums with friends so easily.  Yes, we should be realistic, please allow the Society to survive and not be burdened with unnecessary cost and labour. Long live the HKBWS !!!

[ Last edited by winghee75 at 30/12/2009 08:37 ]

Thread