BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 1:21pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   長咀半蹼鷸 Long Billed Dowitcher / 尋人
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 長咀半蹼鷸 Long Billed Dowitcher / 尋人  (Read 1016 times)
Apache Lau+Joanna Lam
Committee Member
BBS Senior Member

« on: Nov 4th, 2002, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

各 位 鳥 友  

11月3日 米埔 outing ,約中午1時在11號塘看見長咀半蹼鷸一隻•

但當初沒有太注意,以為是半蹼鷸。專心享用我的三文治。直到Joanna (老婆)問這是什麼鷸,從單筒一看,長咀半蹼鷸就在60隻澤鷸當中。  

咀是兩節色 , 前端是黑色後端是淡黃綠色(絕對不是全黑)。Size是比澤鷸大一點點 ,判斷是長咀半蹼鷸 (因為香港及華南鳥類、中國野鳥圖鑑、Birds of South East Asia/C Robson 都有相同的描述)。過了約5分鐘這群澤鷸和這隻長咀半蹼鷸驚飛離開了11 塘。

各位前輩,請問以上描述是否足夠判斷是否長咀半蹼鷸 ? (我們當時3個人都十分 確認)  

因為當時沒有相機 ,但有3位鳥友在場應該有拍照,其中是葉先生和葉太太(記錯請見諒)。但他們都 先後離開 (在我們還是沒有注意它是長咀半蹼鷸前) ,煩請3 位如有在11 塘拍到長咀半蹼鷸 ,請回應及post 照片,以確認這記錄。

請問短咀半蹼鷸與長咀半蹼鷸的分別 (香港及華南鳥類中提到Lewington 1991在什麼地方可以找到?

多謝

Dear Friends,

Long Billed Dowitcher  

3 Nov 2002 HKBWA outing / Mai Po, around 1300 in pound 11 a Long Billed Dowitcher was found.  

Description: Bill not completely black, front is black and the second half is Greenish yellow. Size is little bite bigger than Marsh Sandpiper (the long billed dowitcher was inside a group of marsh sandpiper, so it is very easy to compare the size).  

5 minutes later, these marsh sandpipers and the only one long billed Dowitcher flied away.

Does our description enough to show it is a long billed dowitcher ? How to distinguish the short billed dowitcher ?

Apache Lau + Joanna + Ah Fan
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2002, 8:47am by Forrest FONG » Logged
yip
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Re: 長咀半蹼鷸 Long Billed Dowitcher / 尋人
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2002, 10:45pm »

Apache, Joanna and Ah Fan,

I also think that the bird was a long-billed dowitcher. Juding from the size of the bird among the group of marsh sandpipers,  it definitely would not be an asiatic dowitcher.  To your clear description, I would like to add that the bird had a brownish crown, a white eyebrow and greenish legs.  The plumage is not that brown and I think it is a juvenile.  

However, I am not experienced enough to distinguish clearly the short-billed and long-billed dowitchers.

I am sorry that I had not taken any picture of it because my camera had run out of battery.  

Yip Wai Hung
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2002, 9:26am »

As you say, the leg colour and size rule out Asian Dowitcher, but Long and Short-billed Dowitchers are extremely difficult to separate in the field at this time of year. The bird that I saw recently was in winter plumage and appeared to have no juvenile or breeding plumage feathers remaining. Without these, it is very difficult indeed to say which of the two smaller dowitchers it is, unless it calls.

Obviously, all the birds identified with certainty in HK have been Long-billed, and Long-billed is the only one of the two known to breed in Siberia and occur regularly elsewhere in east Asia; However, Short-billed is always a possibility (it has occurred in Japan). This is why such records are logged as 'Long/Short-billed Dowitcher' in the HKBR.

If anybody hears it call, please note down exactly how it sounds, and that way we should be able to identify it.

Geoff
Apache Lau+Joanna Lam
Committee Member
BBS Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6th, 2002, 2:26pm »

Dear Mr. Yip  

Thank you for your inforamtion

on Nov 5th, 2002, 10:45pm, yip wrote:
Apache, Joanna and Ah Fan,

I also think that the bird was a long-billed dowitcher. Juding from the size of the bird among the group of marsh sandpipers,  it definitely would not be an asiatic dowitcher.  To your clear description, I would like to add that the bird had a brownish crown, a white eyebrow and greenish legs.  The plumage is not that brown and I think it is a juvenile.  

However, I am not experienced enough to distinguish clearly the short-billed and long-billed dowitchers.

I am sorry that I had not taken any picture of it because my camera had run out of battery.  

Yip Wai Hung

Apache Lau+Joanna Lam
Committee Member
BBS Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2002, 2:33pm »

Dear Geoff,

Yes, agreed with u, for me to identify in the field during winter time for long billed Dowitcher are the color of the bill and the size.

May be it is too diffcult to hear the calls.

Thank you for your inforamtion about the identification and how HKBWS logged this record as long/short billed dowitcher.

Regards

Apache  

on Nov 6th, 2002, 9:26am, gjcarey wrote:
As you say, the leg colour and size rule out Asian Dowitcher, but Long and Short-billed Dowitchers are extremely difficult to separate in the field at this time of year. The bird that I saw recently was in winter plumage and appeared to have no juvenile or breeding plumage feathers remaining. Without these, it is very difficult indeed to say which of the two smaller dowitchers it is, unless it calls.

Obviously, all the birds identified with certainty in HK have been Long-billed, and Long-billed is the only one of the two known to breed in Siberia and occur regularly elsewhere in east Asia; However, Short-billed is always a possibility (it has occurred in Japan). This is why such records are logged as 'Long/Short-billed Dowitcher' in the HKBR.

If anybody hears it call, please note down exactly how it sounds, and that way we should be able to identify it.

Geoff

Mike Kilburn

Email

Re: ????? Long Billed Dowitcher / ??
« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2002, 7:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Please be aware there were 2 Long/Short-billed Dowitchers at Mai Po on Weds. They wrere seen at the hgh tide from the old Boardwalk hide.

Mike
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.