BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | ¤¤¤å
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:27pm

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ
   Discussion Area °Q½×°Ï
   Bird Identification ³¾Ãþ¿ëÃÑ
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä¹ë¹C°O Part 1
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä¹ë¹C°O Part 1  (Read 918 times)
Griffin
BBS Member
BBS God

A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä¹ë¹C°O Part 1
« on: Jan 27th, 2004, 10:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello

I went to Ng Tung Chai, after reading so many reports on rare birds sightings (and hearings), alone on Sat, Jan 24 afternoon. The trip was not meant to be serious birding, but rather to see which parts are "target-rich". I have taken some pictures for records. Please pardon that there are no great bird photographs taken here. All are taken by 10D, EF20-35mm f/.8 L and EF100-400mm L IS USM.

I took the 64K bus from terminal at Tai Po Market KCRC station and get off at Ng Tung Chai stop at around 1430.

BTW, if you take 64K from Yuen Long, get off at Ngau Len Wo (¤ûÄæºÛ) which is a stop after Kadoorie Farm, and it is just across to road to the village entrance. Here is the entrance and the path leading into the village.

To go to the village, stick to paved path on the right:

And to the left, you can find a field for flowers:

Along the path, there are a couple of trees with orange flowers bloosmed. So far, they attracted a number of Japanese White-eyes.

Before entering the village, I find an entrace to the right-side with 3 white conceret blocks:

which leads to a hilly path up the hill. The path is covered by grasses so it is not very appearent. Near the enterance, I found common birds which has nothing to write home about.

Along the path uphill, I found a junction:

as you could see the yellow marking on the trunk. On the trip return to main road, I found a "pinkish" bird, with size simiar to a dove, landed near the junction and disappeared into undergrowth before I could tell exactly what it was.

To the right, the path is covered by dry leaves and is quite narrow with a quite a lot of undergrowth.

It seemed to lead to further into the wood but I did not explore too far.

On the left of the junction, you could find a water pipe but the road was blocked at the end.

After returning to the paved road, I move on:

And then I come to the third junction of the main road:

Here I saw four dogs coming to my way and between them, there was a big green (?) bird taking off to the direction as shown:

Side note: one of the dogs came close and "examined" me. I showed him my "pass" (aka camera lens ) so they left me alone.

Again, I took the path on the right leading upwards. The path turns right and got through a number of houses. The path then leads to a place with quite a number of cemeteries. I saw a female red-flanked bluetail on the road side. I failed to take a picture of her due to operation error. Anyway, I think I saw two on the return trip plus a lot of activities on the trees at this section.

(to be continued...)
Griffin
BBS Member
BBS God

A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä¹ë¹C°O Part 2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 10:54pm »

(...continued from above)

The path after the village is quite gentle to walk along:

At the end, you would see a big stone post:

Again, there are two paths beyond the post, the one on the left leads to a small village below with field and river:

which I did not explore this time. The path on the right leads to a Toaist monastry:

And after the monastry, the path would take you up to Ng Tung Chai waterfalls:

To certain point, you can either go to the main waterfall or Tai Mo Shan:

For this trip, I visited the main falls. At first the path was not too difficult, and the path is mostly covered with trees and shades.

But the path began to get steep and wet when I went up to the Middle Fall (again, I skipped the Bottom Fall):

I encountered a small group of 4 Chestnut Bulbuls here

After I reached the Middle Fall:

the path to the Main Fall is even more steeper.

On the way, I found a berry-bearing tree which attracted about 3 Chestnut Bulbuls (?)

Beyond this point to the Main Fall, however, I did not find any speical birds.

I returned to the 64K bus station for Tai Po Market at around 1800.

Any elaborations, corrections and tips are welcomed. Thank you for viewing.

Regards,
Griffin.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2004, 9:16am by Griffin » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä¹ë¹C°O Part 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 9:53am »

A truly excellent trip briefing indeed, Griffin!  

I'd have thought you would go along with a friend or two of yours just to be on the safe side ...

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
Griffin
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 1:45pm »

I feel flattered, KK. I dunno if I have missed anything. I really wait for those who are experienced to comment on this.

I met a lot of families along the path up to the Main Fall, including those with little boys and girls. It seems that if I could handle TPK, NTC would not be that much of a problem.  (without a 300mm f/2.8 on my back, i.e.)   I guess I could be both foolish and adventurous.

BTW, I learn I should appreciate those PnS digital camera some time -- the path has proven to be bad for changing lens so many of the images here are taken @100mm!  

Griffin.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2004, 1:57pm by Griffin » Logged
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 7:04pm »

Griffin,

For your information only.

I had been there last year with my 500IS lens and Gitzo 1325 tripod for the Crested Serpent Eagle (CSE). I had found the old dead tree with which the CSE liked to perched. However, I dared not to get close to it as there were many dogs in the private area. I kept watching the tree in a long distance for 2 hours but could not see the raptor.

When I was on the way back, I finally saw it flying over me with 30-50m but failed to take a picture.

Regards
Daniel

PS I finally had taken a picture of CSE in TBT.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2004, 7:05pm by Daniel CK Chan » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
Griffin
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 9:14am »

Sorry, serious typo -- they should be chestnut bulbuls instead..  

BTW, CK, where is that tree you are talking about?

Griffin.
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

Re: A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä1ë1C°O Part 1
« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:29am »

The tree is visible from the village square, but no Crested Serpent Eagle has perched there for many months.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
Griffin
BBS Member
BBS God

Re: A trip to Ng Tung Chai ±ï®ä1�1C°O Part
« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 1:03pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:29am, Mike_Kilburn wrote:
The tree is visible from the village square, but no Crested Serpent Eagle has perched there for many months.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, thanks but I am still unsure where the "village squre" is. May be I should take another trip again.

Griffin.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·|
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.