BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 7:29am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   Please help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please help!  (Read 465 times)
Noah

Email

Please help!
« on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am hoping you can help me with a bird dilemma/mystery! I live in Pokfulam, near Sandy Bay, and this morning, we found a chick on our roof (16/f) -- there are no nests, no trees, nothing nearby! The vet was unable to identify the species, but said it is about one week old. It is not a pigeon or dove; the plumage is mainly black with short, soft yellow tufts/hairs all over. The beak is about 2cm long and ridged, and it has very big feet (to my mind!) for a one-week old chick.

I know nothing about caring for birds, and am hoping that someone from your organisation will volunteer to take this little creature off my hands and give it the care it will need to survive!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to post images here, I have some photos of this little bird so I hope you can access this link! http://flickr.com/photos/51035574534@N01/1010148/

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2004, 9:35pm by Noah » Logged
Webcreeper
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Photo posted by Noah

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
Noah

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:40pm »

Webcreeper!! Many, many thanks for uploading my pic here! I really do hope someone can help me, my daughters have just gone to bed in tears because they are frightened the little bird will be dead by the time they wake up.... I can't stress enough how desperate I am for assistance from ANYONE for this little creature's life...

Lynx
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Judging from the shape of the bill and the scale of the legs/foot, it appears to me that it is probably a raptor in its infancy.  If this is the case, I don't suggest anyone here to keep it at home.  I think you'd better contact either the Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department or the Kadoorie Farm to see whether they can help.

Welcome to Lynx Aviary
http://www.9014316.com/birds.htm
Noah

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 11:32pm »

Lynx >> Many thanks for your input! I have called the AFCD and will be taking the chick there in the morning -- I will keep everyone posted as to what sort of bird it turns out to be! Really appreciate everyone's concern and assistance; you are good people!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.