BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 9:21am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   大埔滘剪影 Birds of Taipokau
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 大埔滘剪影 Birds of Taipokau  (Read 559 times)
HKBWS Project
HKBWS Officers
BBS God

Please support HKBWS!

大埔滘剪影 Birds of Taipokau
« on: Jul 19th, 2005, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am Andreas Pieper from Germany concernig some photos of birds taken in Hong Kong. Here are some photos which I would like to ask for your comments. All pictures were taken at Tai Po Kau on Saturday 16.07.05 between 07:30 and 11:00 am.

1.) Olive Backed Sunbird, female (one photo)
The bird was the size of a Tailorbird, quite smaller than  Pitta. Unfortunately only 1 photo could be taken before it flew away. I understand that this species does not occur in HKG much. Or did I identify it incorrectly?

2.) Black Bulbul (2 photos)
Here another one were I struggle. It could be also a Crested Myna. Beak and legs are red which speaks for the Bulbul. But postute and body seem to match a Myna more. What do you think?

3. What Bulbul
Here another one were I struggle. May be a juvenile form of some Bulbul I missed to find in the book. Do you have any idea? These pictures were taken after about 5 1/2 kms of the Brown Track where it hits a tar sealed road (plus picnic table and map) and then you leave the track and use the trail to Tai Po Kau Village Market

4.) Orange Headed Thrush  

5.) Chestnut Bulbul (3 photos)

I am not sure whether these are Chestnut Bulbul or not.    

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005, 2:18pm by Koel_Ko » Logged

HKBWS Manager (Projects & Communication)
香港觀鳥會 經理(項目及傳訊)
Michael_Leven
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

Re: Birding Friend from Germany
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 5:08pm »

Hi Andreas

Hope the following suggestions are of help:

Sunbird - juvenile Fork-tailed Sunbird (hence the pale lower mandible)

Black Bulbul - no. 1 is certainly Black Bulbul with characteristic red bill and legs (yellow-orange in Crested Myna). Is the second photo the same bird - this does look more like a Crested Myna - I am not sure if it is showing a crest or if this is an optical illusion.  

Orange-headed Thrush - well done, quite a difficult bird to see in HK- please submit this record officially.

Juvenile bulbuls are juvenile Chinese Bulbuls.

Photos labelled possible Chestnut Bulbuls look more like Chinese Bulbul but they are not very clear. Have a look at pitures of Chinese Bulbul - what do you think.

I hope that you enjoyed your time in Hong Kong

Michael Leven
Andreas
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

I love bird watching!

Re: Birding Friend from Germany
« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:24pm »

Hello Michael,

Sorry for the late answer, but part of my job as an engineer is a lot of travelling (hence having the opportunity to do some birding also in HKG).

I really appreciate your kind comments and suggestions.  

Sunbird
Thanks for the identification.
I will have a closer look at my book tonight.  

Black Bulbul
Both pictures shows the same bird. I think the tree branches are playing some tricks on us. I personally also tended more to the Black Bulbul.

Orange-headed Thrush
I gladly submit an official record, especially if this bird is not seen often in HKG and you suggest it. Perhaps you could give me hint how to do it. I normally just enjoy walking in nature, take the odd photos, but have not submitted any records yet in my life.

Juv. Chinese Bulbuls
Thanks for the identification.

Chestnut Bulbuls versus Chinese Bulbuls
I will give the photos a miss. If it is too unclear for identification I will just have to try harder to get better pictures next time.  

I certainly had a great time and must say that I am sad that I did not do any bird photography when visiting Mai Po 4 or 5 years ago.

Greetings from Germany, Andreas

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.