BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 7:24am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   海南藍鶲Hainan Blue Flycatcher (imm.) ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 海南藍鶲Hainan Blue Flycatcher (imm.) ??  (Read 691 times)
PWMK
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching! Meow!!

海南藍鶲Hainan Blue Flycatcher (imm.) ??
« on: Sep 10th, 2005, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tech Stuff: Canon 20D, 400mm (5.6). 580EX Flash.

TAI PO KAU, 10th Sept 2005.
Seen at Blue Walk at 11.30am. Found feeding on ground.

It has a brownish collar with chestnut-brown primary and secondary feathers. Overall colours are quite washed out. The forehead is shinning blue with black lore. Flanks are orange, vent is white and has pale legs.

Any other suggestions?

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:03pm by Koel_Ko » Logged
HF_Cheung
Committee Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

Re: Probable Blue-throated Flycatcher( immature)?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 11:15am »

We now have good photo galleries of the birds of China,  

http://www.cnbird.org.cn/index_1.asp,  

or the Oriental Bird Club gallery.  I think this is Hainan Blue Flycatcher.  First of all, I have compare this bird with the photos on the above two photo galleries.  Seconds, I have seen the trapped bird in Mai Po.  It looks exactly the same.  The orange flank seem to be a common feature of male Hainan Blue, although this is totally absent on some males.  I suspect that this is more common on younger males.  
Mai Po, 11 Spet 05

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 11:16am by HF_Cheung » Logged
PWMK
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching! Meow!!

Re: 海南藍鶲Hainan Blue Flycatcher (imm.) ??
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 10:15pm »

Dear Fai Gaw,
Thanks for your advice, but we went through both web-sites, China Field Guide and the Robson, still cannot find sufficent information about the blue-throated flycatcher. Is there a possibility that the immature male have similar features as the Hainan Blue Flycatcher?

PWMK
George_Ho
BBS Member
BBS God

享受觀鳥的樂趣

132522089 132522089    
Email

Re: 海南藍鶲Hainan Blue Flycatcher (imm.) ??
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 11:19pm »

It may be hard to say the bird was the Blue-throated Flycatcher or not. But I have seen a blue flycatcher that was different from Hainan Blue Flycatcher on last Wedsday at 7Sept and I identified it as Blue-throated Flycatcher.

Base on the note I took on that day. The bird was seen at the middle to lower floor of the forest. It was flycatching the insects among the big vine near the U-turn junction of Blue Walk. The light condition was not excellent for me.  

Undoubtedly, for the upper part of the bird, the bird showed the same feature as Hainan Blue Flycatcher from the head to the tail. But the bird showed the dark colour near to blackish on flight feather. Under the flash photo of PWMK, I knew the feather wasn’t blackish and was brownish.

For the underpart, the lower belly and vent was white. The throat and breast was obviously different from Hainan. It showed light orange on the breast and an orange triangle in the center of the blue throat. It was extremely apparent on the bird by this feature and ruled out Hainan for Blue-throated.

觀鳥是要用心眼,並非簡單地用肉眼去看,用心眼去感受一下,看透牠們奧秘的生命。
鳳園蝴蝶保育區委員
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.