BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 1:48pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   Japanese Murrelet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Japanese Murrelet  (Read 1306 times)
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Japanese Murrelet
« on: Feb 19th, 2006, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

During the Po Toi outing today, at least 9 auks were seen at the southern waters of Po Toi.
As all of them having black colour upperparts and pinkish bill, is it possible for them to be Japanese Murrelet instead of Ancient Auk (Ancient Murrelet)?

Southern waters of Po Toi
19/2/2006

Forrest
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2006, 11:08pm by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: Japanese Murrelet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 10:20pm »

Hopefully people from Japan and/or with experience of both species in non-breeding plumage will look at these photos and comment, but on a quick glance and quick flick though books and look at images elsewhere, I can't really see anything to suggest they are not Ancient.

Sounds like a great trip though and it's always great to get auks in HK.

Mike Turnbull
subbuteo71
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 8:40am »

I've had a look in Birds of Japan and Harrison's seabirds of the world,  the colour pattern looks right for Ancient Murrulet.  The birds looked much darker on the water  and appeared a conisistent black but the photos do show a contrast between the black head and slatey coloured back- the difference is not as pronounced as illustrated in the HK Birds book.
Anton
BBS Member
BBS God

Watch me if you can~

40185341 40185341    

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 12:44am »

A little bit more on the Murrelets~
9 of them in a row~

Southern waters of HK  香港南部水域
19/2/2006
Minolta Dynax 7D + Tamron 200-500

Anton
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:53am »

have a look atthe pix of Japanese Murrelet on the Oriental birding website. I see no white on the head of the birds in these pix so I don't see how they can be Japanese.

Please note that the pix from Japan were also taken in February, so the plumage should be the same.

In my opinion the birds photographed are Ancient Murrelet (and I wish I'd  seen them!)

Cheers  
Mike K

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
Mike  Chalmers
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 12:14am »

Just to post my earlier summary to Forrest that having studied the photos, there is no doubt in my mind that these were all Ancient Murrelets.  

At the time, with the poor light, the backs looked very black and we couldnt see the pale bills. However, the photos clearly show the mantles to be paler and contrasting with the sooty black heads, and the stubby pale bills can also be seen.  Whilst these features fit Ancient Murrelet, they are also shared by the much rarer Japanese or Crested Murrelet. Japanese is poorly described in winter plumage but would be expected still to show some white striping to the rear of the head , which none of these have. Ancient is also indicated by the fact that at least one appears to be in full winter plumage with the white on the throat extending up to the chin, as well as up behind the eye, whilst others have the black extending down onto the upper breast and thus appear to be in partial breeding plumage.

Congratulations again to the photographers for snatching such clear shots in difficult conditions with such poor light and fast moving targets.

Mike Chalmers
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.