BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 11:32pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   HKBWS Birdcall recordings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HKBWS Birdcall recordings  (Read 706 times)
macca
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

HKBWS Birdcall recordings
« on: Mar 12th, 2006, 6:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Forgive me if this is 'old news', but after checking out the bird calls in the aptly named Birdcall page of the HKBWS web-site (to familiarise myself with some of the less familiar calls before my imminent visit), surely the calls listed under Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus inornatus) are infact of Hume's Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus humei).

All the best, Ian (Ian McKerchar, UK)

P.S. Anybody think there's an hope of Mai Po opening before mid-April?
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: HKBWS Birdcall recordings
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:48pm »

I think you are right, Ian.

I've personally never listened to these recordings before, but whatever they are they are certainly not standard inornatus calls, which are one of the commonest birds sounds in a wide range of wooded habitats here in Hong Kong in the winter.

They do sound like humei, being shorter, flatter and lower pitched.

I wonder if anyone can tell us who recorded them and where. If they were recorded in, say, Yunnan it would explain it, as I believe humei (of the race mandellii) is common there.  

If they were recorded in HK it would be very interesting as  there are still fewer than ten records of humei, perhaps as few as five, including a long-staying bird seen and heard by many this winter.

Mike Turnbull
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:57pm »

Concerning your question about Mai Po re-opening, Ian, can I urge you to go to the "Wild Birds and Avian Flu" topic, and to the "Mai Po Closure" thread. Towards the end, if you haven't already done so, you'll find details of how to lobby the politician who is Chairman of an important Government committee at which the question of the continued closure of Mai Po is to be discussed on Tuesday (14th).

The views of an intending visitor from overseas may be of especial interest.

Mike Turnbull
HF_Cheung
Committee Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 1:55pm »

Dear Macca,  

I believe the bird call page have quoted me to be the person who took those birdcall recordings.  To me, I have never successfully recorded any call of Hume's Leaf Warbler.  The original recording of Yellow-browed Warbler is missing (get replaced by something that I do not recognised).  I will ask the person involved to fix it up.  Thank you.  

HF Cheung
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.